Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Old Is My Motherboard?

Hi,

I've just bought an ASUS motherboard off eBay (boxed with all original components) which was stated to be 2 weeks old (he wanted to replace it with an ASUS Striker or something) ... it hasn't arrived yet but it doesn't look like he is going to he is going to provide any evidence that the board is, in fact, the age claimed. Although it is, in all likelihood, exactly what he says it is he said he threw the receipt away which seems unlikely to me at only 2 weeks so I can't help but wonder if it is either older or in some way dubiously sourced. My major concern in this is the warranty.

Does anyone know a way of establishing when a motherboard was made ... obviously that will be older than its sale date but I would expect a reasonable degree of correlation (say within 6 months). I'm after ASUS advice specifically but general advice is welcome too.

It occurs to me that I could simply ask for a receipt from him stating the age and source of the board ... perhaps I could even expect him to be responsible in the event of failure within the standard UK guarantee period of 1 year (approx. 11 months remaining).

Any suggestions? Am I being overly paranoid?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: How Old Is My Motherboard?

Unless you bought it from a retailer who operates on Ebay, chances are that they won't accept any responsibility for any problems other than DOA - certainly they are not legally required to.

To make a warranty claim, you would need proof of purchase, which he threw away. If he registered the warranty on the board, you would not be able to make a claim anyway as I highly doubt the warranty is transferable.

Could you tell us the model of the board? Or maybe even post a link to the item on Ebay.

You could possibly get *some* idea of the motherboard's age from the POST screen or the BIOS, but I think it's unlikely. You'll probably see the datestamp of the BIOS, which will either be the date on which that BIOS was compiled, or will be completely useless data if the BIOS has been upgraded since the board was purchased.

The #1 rule is to take Ebay listings with a pinch of salt.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Could you tell us the model of the board? Or maybe even post a link to the item on Ebay.
      ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      The #1 rule is to take Ebay listings with a pinch of salt.
      Yeah ... I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right choice

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

His feedback is reasonable. Did you pay with Paypal?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Return policy details: 5 Days of receipt

You could always return it within 5 days. I think the board was originally made back in 2006 but this could easily be a current one. I have a P5W DH deluxe and they are pretty good boards. The picture looks like it is pretty dust free and the box seems ok. It may be legit.
          Wait till it arrives and check the heatsinks etc for dust and make your choice then. You can go through ebay if you believe it isn't correct I believe.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Don't see it on pricewatch anymore, so it's not 2 weeks old, that's for sure. Now he may have actually bought it 2 weeks ago, but the board's older than that for sure.

http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx?no=201
            All ASUS motherboard purchased after November 1st, 1999 will carry 3 year warranty services. ASUS product warranty is based on the serial number printed.

Note: Warranty void for user removing serial number sticker on the motherboard.
            The serial # probably has a manufacturing date within it.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X