New Hire / Fire Procedures?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hire / Fire Procedures?

We're about to start working on a comprehensive new hire / fire procedure for the company, and I was wondering what steps the members of our community do at their workplaces?

Here's my generic list so far.

New Hire:
    Obtain user info from correct source(s): name, department, position information, seating location
    set up badge access (if applicable)

Create user in AD (includes email / home folder)
    Add to appropriate OU / Security Groups / Distribution Groups (Manager to justify if required)

Link user to PC in inventory system
    Set up PC name / domain
    Add extra hardware / drivers to system (if needed)
    Add job-specific software to computer (if needed)
    Manager to justify if additional software licenses needed (e.g. non-standard apps)
    Update all software on PC
    Move PC in AD to correct location (if applicable)

Link user to phone in inventory system
    Set up and document phone extension / fax # / direct line (as applicable)
    Wire in network / phone connections to desk (as applicable)

Give user network printer access (as applicable) - can be done in MANY ways, I know

Install user setup (PC / monitor / printer / phone / speakers / battery backup) at desk (if applicable)

Advise HR or manager of username, email, phones etc (e.g. for business cards)
    Obtain signed copy of Authorized Use Policy (AUP) before allowing user to log on for first time
    Add User to Network Scanner

Term'd list:
    Lock user out of AD / remove from groups
    Lock user's badge out (collect badge if possible)
    forward email / share email box to whomever needs it
    Set up notice for (1 month / 2 month / 3 months) to see if mailbox access is still needed
    recover user's work files on PC, place into department share (if applicable)
    recover PC / monitor / printer / phone / speakers / battery backup (if applicable)
    Remove User from Network Scanner

Incomplete I know, but any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Wired; 21st November 2008, 17:07.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: New Hire / Fire Procedures?

Looks pretty good, but I would add to hire procedure:
    Add to security / distribution groups (Manager to justify if required)
    Manager to justify if additional software licenses needed (e.g. non-standard apps)
    Also:
    Advise HR or manager of username, email, phones etc (e.g. for business cards)
    Obtain signed copy of AUP before allowing user to log on for first time

For Fire procedure, I would lock out of AD but NOT remove from groups. That way the account can be renamed for a replacement with minimal effort

Funnily enough, I was drafting something very similar yesterday.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not sure how relevant would be in your org. but I'd also add a line regarding the IT induction details for new staff.

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks Ossian, was thinking of groups when I mentioned OUs, clarified.

As for renaming accounts, I was always told that it's a bad idea, and that it's best to make new accounts from scratch, and just forward mail and whatnot if need be. What's your thoughts on this?

I've only seen a few people start after me, but I believe it's already in the current process to inform the appropriate people of their contact info. I'll add it to the list.

AUP = Authorized Use Policy? That's something they need to sign where I am @ HR when they start, so it's something where if they don't sign, they don't work there I'll add it to the list as well for others to benefit from.

L4ndy, induction details? Do you mean like the AUP, or a code of conduct?

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
          As for renaming accounts, I was always told that it's a bad idea, and that it's best to make new accounts from scratch, and just forward mail and whatnot if need be. What's your thoughts on this?
          Personally, I've not seen a problem with it -- it makes life a lot easier when someone leaves and another steps into the same role as permissions are already set. Also the newbie takes over the previous home directory, mailbox and, possibly most important, any EFS encryption keys.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

L4ndy, induction details? Do you mean like the AUP, or a code of conduct?
            In our place we introduce all new staff to the IT system and services we provide with some basic initial training through an IT induction session. Most new users are quite used to changing IT environments and might not need this but in general I think this is good practice and eliminates some unnecessary calls to the Helpdesk.
            As far as Renaming Vs creating New User accounts I'd opt for the second one personally. Copying from a User template or an existing user takes care of permissions and avoids any breach of any privacy laws.
            I don't know in your place but in some Orgs you have the "Returning Employer" scenario, and I have found useful to disable Leaving users accounts and re-enable when that occurs.

Ta
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Pretty much what ours is with a few company specific additions.

Comment

Good stuff. I've been working on this such stuff for the past few months.

We can't get our HR department to comply though, people will be gone 2-3 months from the organization before IT is given any type of notice that they have been terminated.
                MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Originally posted by boondock View Post
                  We can't get our HR department to comply though, people will be gone 2-3 months from the organization before IT is given any type of notice that they have been terminated.
                  Disable their switch ports, then tell them it was the result of an intrusion by a former employee whos account hadn't been removed yet, because you didn't know they'd stopped working there
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

That's unexcusable. If they value their jobs, they need to tell you ASAP.

Lock them out saying you assumed they didn't work there anymore, as you're obviously psychic

Comment

Not always possible though.
                      I've found writing a quick report into the issue with worst case scenario and your recommendations to your boss usually helps. If he values his job then he will pass on his thoughts too, otherwise you have a copy noting he was informed.
                      cheers
                      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

That's unexcusable. If they value their jobs, they need to tell you ASAP.

Lock them out saying you assumed they didn't work there anymore, as you're obviously psychic
                        I like that IT vs HR war. You've got a BOFH streak in you, looking for a job?

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                        Not always possible though.
                        Why would it not be possible to tell IT that someone doesn't work there anymore? While it wouldn't necessarily be appropriate to tell them *why*, the security of the systems could depend on it.

If you wanted to be *really* pedantic, you could argue that the company was not compliant with the data protection act - if a department thinks that somebody still works there, then the information they hold on a member of the public is not correct
                        Last edited by gforceindustries; 11th November 2008, 15:56.
                        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                          I like that IT vs HR war. You've got a BOFH streak in you
                          I said value their JOBS, not their LIVES

Comment

I very rarely kill off my users. What's the point of breaking their spirit if they don't survive long enough to suffer?
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Added: Add / Remove from Networked Scanner

Comment

Working...
                              X