Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup solution for 800GB.

Hi,

We're looking for a backup solution to backup around 800GB. These are mainly CAD files with PDF, Word, Excel files.

Ultrium4 Tape Drive might be interesting but it's quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any idea for a backup solution for this.

Also, the quantity of DATA should grow to around 3TB since a merge is expected.

I'm looking forward for your ideas !

Best regards,

trep

Re: Backup solution for 800GB.

USB HDD maybe
    They are cheap and fast but a little less safe to carry around.

Is that 800GB compressed size?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Is this for an onsite (online or offline) or offsite backup?

In case my use of those terms is different from others...

Onsite online refers to onsite backups to media which is kept powered up, such as NAS.

Onsite offline refers to onsite backups to 'offline' media - tapes, USB hard drives etc, which are removed after the backup and preferably in a fire safe.

Offsite backups... shouldn't need explaining
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post

Offsite backups... shouldn't need explaining
        Not Quite....
        You can have offsite and online or offsite and offline..
        Last edited by Lior_S; 7th November 2008, 21:06.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

True, but online offsite and online onsite are pretty similar... but yes I suppose the differences are sufficient to justify mentioning.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

online offsite can mean one of 2 things:
            a co-lo situation
            online backup solution like www.mozy.com

offline offsite = tapes / media stored at an Iron Mountain facility.

ANYWAY, back to the topic, do you have any constraints on this idea? time / money / location, ease of use, etc? Currently we're researching a backup server w/ appx. 6 TB of USEABLE storate over an 8 drive RAID 5 or 6 w/ a hot swap.

Kinda scary considering I was messing around w/ the idea of a basic RAID 5 array w/ 3 or 4 TB for home...
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
              offline offsite = tapes / media stored at an Iron Mountain facility
              You mean you don't keep the tapes in your sock drawer?
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The 800GB is uncompressed.

We need an onsite offline solution such as tape, etc. We're currently trying to backup the 800GB to USB HDD but it takes over 3 days to do a full backup.

Best regards,

trep

Comment

Try splitting it up into chunks and backing up each chunk to something like a gigabit NAS. Unless you fancy splashing out on a tape library... my way's cheaper
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by trep View Post
                    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The 800GB is uncompressed.

We need an onsite offline solution such as tape, etc. We're currently trying to backup the 800GB to USB HDD but it takes over 3 days to do a full backup.

Best regards,

trep
                    You will have to backup changes only, ideally at the sector level. Currently for one of my clients I backup 250gb in about 2 minutes, only the changes (every hour).

Then you can merge the changes into one image file and copy to wherever.

Would that work?
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Full backup on a Friday (not ideal if it's still running for a bit on Monday morning, but any half decent backup software will be using shadow copies to avoid causing disruption) and incremental backups Monday-Thursday maybe?
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Backup is starting at 6PM on friday, still have 20+ hours left on Monday morning :\

I'm in the process of copying everything to a NAS. Though, the NAS is not fire proof hehe. I would need a solution to take the backup out of the building. LTO4 along with a backup library might be the solution. Would it be possible to use 2-3 tapes everyday to do a full backup or just use 2-3 tapes to do a full backup once a week then incremental.

trep

Comment

From an earlier post I was under the impression this was intended to be an onsite offline backup... in any case, when backing up to tape I always favour full backups. Can't really give any idea of how long it would take without trying it... you could probably make an educated estimate based on the amount of data, the performance of the drive and the bandwidth available on the system bus.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

The SAN where the DATA is stored uses 300GB 15K RPM SAS drives in a 0+1 RAID. Everything is connected through fibers to the host server. I guess there aren't too much bottlenecks here. A tape drive connected through fibers to the HBA on the host would be the best solution i think.

trep

Comment

One option would to look at getting a Firewire 800 drive and card, this will give you double the bandwidth over your USB drive and should reduce the backup time by a fair bit

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X