Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magazines for newbies

Hi Folks,

I'm working as level 2 support technician. Recently my company recruited graduate trainees into our support team. Basically they don't know much about Infrastructure Management. They had few training sessions related to basic Cisco and Microsoft technologies and our company infrastructure policies. But while working with them, I came to notice most of them are not enjoying the the Server administration or Network Engineering. We usually advice them to read beginner articles in several websites such as network world and so on. I would like to make the articles available offline also, means good network or server administration related magazines. So we can subscribe them. I'm sure at least they can read the latest trends. Please suggest few good beginner level magazines in Server administration, storage, network management, and infrastructure management.

Your opinion is very valuable.

Thank and Regards
    Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
    MCITP [AD]

Re: magazines for newbies

Originally posted by mohanmathew View Post
    But while working with them, I came to notice most of them are not enjoying the the Server administration or Network Engineering.
    What's not to enjoy about server administration or network engineering??!!

Anyway, TechNet Magazine is decent for learning about Microsoft things. It's free to qualified IT personnel. I also appreciate that it's not too shy about exposing some of Microsoft's "idiosyncratic" ways. I find that most issues have very helpful articles in them.

Also, don't forget the blogosphere! One in particular, PlanetSysadmin, is great since it's an aggregate.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
      What's not to enjoy about server administration or network engineering??!!
      Because they are campus selected. They are getting exposed to the world of Infrastructure Management through our IT Operations Center.
      Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
      MCITP [AD]

Comment

Nobody have any suggestions? that's bad
        I was trying to collect opinions about it, but seems like nobody interested in helping a novice!
        Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
        MCITP [AD]

Comment

that's bad
          but seems like nobody interested in helping a novice!
          Look around the forum. You will see that there are a lot of people on here who spend a lot of time trying to help novices nd professionals alike. Nobody is paid to spend time on here, they volunteer what time they have to help people with their problems.

Be patient - if people have a suggestion they will post back. On the other hand, comments like that may well discourage people from doing so.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            You will see that there are a lot of people on here who spend a lot of time trying to help novices nd professionals alike. Nobody is paid to spend time on here, they volunteer what time they have to help people with their problems.

Be patient - if people have a suggestion they will post back. On the other hand, comments like that may well discourage people from doing so.
            You might have noticed that date which I have posted before on this thread. So i was bit anxious, that much only. And I didn't mean nobody is helping others

As you said, .... a lot of people on here who spend a lot of time trying to help novices nd professionals alike .... but I got only a single reply till now! Also, I don't think this will discourage people from helping others
            Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
            MCITP [AD]

Comment

And that one person has made 3 good suggestions.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

my dear friend, I'm not arguing with you. Of course his reply was helpful. He posted his suggestions.
                Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                And that one person has made 3 good suggestions.
                like wise from others also

Every day nearly 1000 new posts are posted in this wonderful forum, and only single person have an opinion.

Thank you, Have a nice Day!
                Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                MCITP [AD]

Comment

There's also:
                  • SysAdmin Mag which is no longer in print ( ) but you can get back issues
                  • Maybe have them read CIO and CIO Insight Magazines to get some insight into the business side of IT.
                  • Go through this list of 100 top computer magazines and read the Outline/Quotes for each one and determine if any of them would be valuable for your workforce.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Mohan:

I'm calling you out (any number of slang meanings that all relate to someone making an example of you).

You've been w/ Petri for 6 months+ (per the star by your name) yet I'm not seeing any considerable attempt at participating in the process -- helping / giving. I looked at your posts and I see a lot of arguing.

I can tell you know a thing or two or three so I challenge you to contribute and help continue to make Petri a great place to come for answers.

I'm looking forward to your contributions.
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

if they dont like doing stuff as system administrator or engeneere than there is nothing you can do.
                      Nobody will learn anything about networks or thing related to computers if they dont sit and try.
                      Simply these are not things that you can learn by listening and passing some exam.
                      So all that you can do is to find a way to motivate them by challenging them to fix some network related problem and to do that you divide them into groups.
                      More competition...more satisfaction

Comment

This IT Magazine is Free in the UK

http://www.itexpertmag.com

Comment

Working...
                        X