Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Won't Boot

OK,

A couple of nights ago I was mucking about with my PC trying to attach a USB bay to it (one I knew didn't quite work right with the system so I was planning to attach only some aspects of it ... yes, I know, stupid huh?) and suddenly my PC stopped booting. It was working fine up to that point but now, whilst there IS power to the motherboard and the system DOES switch on there is nothing ... no video, no post (not even speaker only), no error messages.

Since then I've tried everything I can think of ... I have removed the board & PSU from the case and, on an insulated surface, removed battery, video card, memory, even CPU in various combinations. The system powers up but there are no POST beeps, no video, no apparent life.

Logic tells me there is unlikely to be anything wrong with the memory (Kingston DDR2/667) or video card (X800 PCI-E) and the PSU obviously works so it's almost certainly the motherboard (ASUS P5ND2-SLi) or CPU (Intel P4 D650 3.4GHz).

My money is on the motherboard and that's what I'm asking ... I have no way of truly confirming what I think because everything else in my house in incompatible with the system and most of my IT colleagues & friends just buy pre-built kit nowadays (I prefer building PC's).

Obviously I want to get back up and running as soon as I can so I was thinking of buying a new board of eBay that is compatible with the rest of the stuff (and perhaps even offers some upgrade potential) but, given that I can't be certain, is my assumption that the motherboard is most likely at fault a reasonable one?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: System Won't Boot

Clear the CMOS, and then remove everything except the CPU and cooler and one stick of memory, that you know from testing in another machine is good.

Perform what is known as a 'destat', which is done by disconnecting the PSU from the mains and holding down the computer's power switch for about 10 seconds. If the PSU capacitors have any charge in them, you may notice fans starting to spin etc. This will drain the capacitors of any residual charge. Then clear the CMOS. Plug the PSU back into the mains and switch on. See if you hear any POST beeps.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 12th November 2008, 10:33.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Clear the CMOS, and then Rhe CPU and cooler and one stick of memory, that you know from testing in another machine is good.
      Very sensible but as I said in my post everything else in my house in incompatible with the system

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Perform what is known as a 'destat', which is done by disconnecting the PSU from the mains and holding down the computer's power switch for about 10 seconds. If the PSU capacitors have any charge in them, you may notice fans starting to spin etc. This will drain the capacitors of any residual charge. Then clear the CMOS. Plug the PSU back into the mains and switch on. See if you hear any POST beeps.
      OK although I'll have to try that when my components come back ... the memory, CPU and video card are on their way to a colleagues to get tested

Kyu

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
        the memory, CPU and video card are on their way to a colleagues to get tested
        Update:

All of those came back tested as AOK. He now has the PSU and motherboard to test.

Kyu

Comment

SOLVED: System Won't Boot

It was definitely the motherboard at fault ... I wasn't able to easily source the board I wanted so I ended up buying an ASUS P5B motherboard.

Thanks for the help

Kyu

Comment

Thanks for posting back.

Edit: And the rep points
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: SOLVED: System Won't Boot

Wasn't it you who had the same sort of issue not that long ago???

Comment

Working...
              X