Move SQL database to another disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move SQL database to another disk

Im not that proficient at anything SQL, so want to find out if this is possible & how easy it is from anyone who is.

I have W2K3 server that I have MSDE installed on , so the MSDE & the database that the client uses is both installed on C drive of the server in question.

I have previously created front & backend (dedicated sql server) servers by moving the msde or sql onto another physical server & that way have another server taking the load. But in this case the client isnt in a position to use another server, so I was hoping that I can move the database onto another disk.

Is that possible? I realise that the msde itself will still reside on C drive & be utlising resources on C drive, but can I move the dtabase to another physical disk? Will that work or do anything?

Re: Move SQL database to another disk

Google is your friend. http://microsoft.apress.com/asptoday...msde-databases
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 4th November 2008, 12:17.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

For user databases all you need to do is detach them, move them to the new location and re-attach them. Alternatively backup and restore them to the new location. Both methods use a built in utility called osql.

This KB describes how to detach and attach MSDE databases.
      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

This KB describes how to detach and attach MSDE databases.
          Unfortunately neither of those articles have what I require. The tools within the sql program I have, already have the ability to backup & restore databases. Those documents seem to only relate to backing up or restoring to different locations or moving the backed up database to a different location. Not being able to use the data

What I need to happen is that when MSDE looks for its database, it does so on a different physical disk on the same server.

Comment

Are you talking about moving user databases or system databases? If you're talking about user databases then your question has already been answered:

1. Backup and then restore

OR

2. detach and reattach

It's not magic and it's not difficult. Can you elaborate on exactly what you're trying to accomplish?

Comment

Working...
            X