Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any software that automatically backups and synchronizes the data online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any software that automatically backups and synchronizes the data online?

I would like to backup my important documents online. ( One particular drive or folder )

Any software that automatically backups the data online.

Re: Any software that automatically backups and synchronizes the data online?

What operating system?

What about a batch file that creates a BKF using ntbackup and then transfers the file using FTP to a remote server.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply

Comment

In that case, I'd go for a batch file which calls ntbackup (post back if you need help with that) and then ftp to transfer the file (words in bold are both commands available in Windows - run them at a command prompt with the /? switch to see their syntax). You could set the batch file as a scheduled task to run once a day.

What's the total size of the files you want to back up, and what is the upload speed of your internet connection?

Presumably you already have a hosting plan or similar agreement that provides you with the webspace to upload your files to, and I'm assuming they support FTP.

Edit With regards to ntbackup, you can use the wizard to setup the job but I would recommend that you spend a few minutes learning the syntax and creating the job manually.
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 2nd November 2008, 20:02.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Their are quite a few online backup systems out there.
          If you search for it you will find plenty of them.
          For example:
          http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Anyway, moved to misc.
          Last edited by Dumber; 2nd November 2008, 20:28.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thank you for concern.

Comment

Hmmm this one looks friendly:
              https://mozy.com/
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

You could achieve a similar thing with offline files and setting a sync schedule.
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

How much data, and how fast is your UPLOAD speed?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Upload/Download : 240/240 kbps.

Do backed up and zipped files contain virus?

I want reinstall OS in my PC , before that I want to backup the files using the windows backup utility and winzip.And I want to restore these backup files to my PC again.
                    What precautions has to follow?
                    Last edited by bspkumar; 3rd November 2008, 09:41.

Comment

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post
                      Yes, if the original files were infected. It's also possible that the archive would become infected even if the original files were clean. Hopefully you're running an antivirus product that is capable of more than sitting in the system tray eating memory. Not that I'm thinking of any product in particular

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post
                      What precautions has to follow?
                      Protect your computer. Firewall, antivirus, antimalware. Keep the definitions and your operating system up to date. Use common sense when visiting websites, downloading files or installing software.

Edit: And when opening ports in your firewall.
                      Last edited by gforceindustries; 4th November 2008, 00:23.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

PCPro did a review of online storage in the September edition - have a look at it here http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/169/onli.../products.html
                        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Working...
                        X