Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symantec Backup Exec 11d - Help\Suggestions

Hi Everyone,

I need to setup a backup solution in my office. This is my first time setting up a backup solution. And Yes, budget is very limited. (2 servers, 7 staffing workstations, 6 public workstations)

We purchased Backup Exec and I am looking for the best possible setup to configure the application. So far, I have configured the backup server and make a full backup of the File server to a USB storage device.

I would like to enable the Continues Data Protection, Snapshots and (I believe) agents for the workstations.

As for the media drive, the backup server has enough space all the data (SATA 500GB). Should I also backup this data somewhere else? It is smart to backup the SATA drive to another drive on the same machine for just incase?

Please Iím pretty new at this so any help is appreciated.

Desire outcome:
    Be able to backup File Server, Workstation software database, and 1 folder from each staffing system.

This is my setup.
    Server1 - Windows 2003 SBS (Primary AD, DNS, Print server, File Server, AV)
    Server2 - Windows 2003 standard - Backup Server (Symantec Backup Exec 11d)
    Workstation3 - Financial Applications (QuickBooks) and proprietary software.
    Staff Workstations (6) - "My Documents" redirection to Server1. However, I may need to backup a local folder seating on C:\Outlook.
    No need to backup public workstations.

CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Re: Symantec Backup Exec 11d - Help\Suggestions

Ideally for a good backup solution you want to backup to secondary storage I.e. tape, so that you can store it in a firesafe and remove it from site easily. A USB drive is OK I suppose provided it is taken off site and not just left next to the server.

Couple of questions:-
    1. Is all the data you want to backup on Server1, and Server2 purely a backup server?
    2. Do you have a license for the BackupExec Remote Agent? This will be required to backup a server other than the one on which BackupExec is installed. There are of course ways round this, but they are generally pretty clunky.
    3. Why did you get BackupExec 11d? Version 12 has been out for some time, and version 12.5 is just about to be released for general sale.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      2. Do you have a license for the BackupExec Remote Agent? This will be required to backup a server other than the one on which BackupExec is installed. There are of course ways round this, but they are generally pretty clunky.
      And probably not legal.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ideally for a good backup solution you want to backup to secondary storage I.e. tape, so that you can store it in a firesafe and remove it from site easily. A USB drive is OK I suppose provided it is taken off site and not just left next to the server.

Couple of questions:-
        1. Is all the data you want to backup on Server1, and Server2 purely a backup server?
        3. Why did you get BackupExec 11d? Version 12 has been out for some time, and version 12.5 is just about to be released for general sale.

I would like to enable the continues data protection and snapshot on a SATA drive install on a drive bay (think about data transfer speed compare to a USB drive). And also, Backup this data to another physical drive (maybe USB) for taking it off site.

Aswers:
        1 - Server2 is purely a backup (may server a replication server too for AD)
        2 - We purchase the software through a non-profit organization site. I will have to look in to the details. (will get back)
        3 - BackupExec was the only version available to them. btw.. non-profits organizations get a very good discount on software... pennies on the dollar.
        Last edited by ncruz1980; 24th October 2008, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          And probably not legal.

I think he means like using Microsoft offiline synchronization .

Comment

Originally posted by ncruz1980 View Post
            I think he means like using Microsoft offiline synchronization .
            Actually I was thinking of one of our clients, who use a business critical app on a couple of workstations per office but don't have the remote agent. We have a scheduled task doing an XCopy of the data folders to a mapped drive on the server each night after COB but before the backup runs.

Like I said, clunky!
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Actually I was thinking of one of our clients, who use a business critical app on a couple of workstations per office but don't have the remote agent. We have a scheduled task doing an XCopy of the data folders to a mapped drive on the server each night after COB but before the backup runs.

Like I said, clunky!
              Clunky for sure.... but that idea may just work for the small enviroment I support. Thanks!

Comment

HP servers/blades limit maximum bandwith througput to mass storage connected via USB & ESATA. This to prohibit that companies will use externals disk instead of expanding there storage.
                [Powershell]
                Start-DayDream
                Set-Location Malibu Beach
                Get-Drink
                Lay-Back
                Start-Sleep
                Wake-Up!
                Resume-Service
                Write-Warning
                [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
                  HP servers/blades limit maximum bandwith througput to mass storage connected via USB & ESATA. This to prohibit that companies will use externals disk instead of expanding there storage.
                  Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by ncruz1980 View Post
                    Clunky for sure.... but that idea may just work for the small enviroment I support. Thanks!
                    If you're not a 24hr environment solutions llike that work quite well, and customers are always grateful when you save them the extra cash for a Backup Exec remote agent.

One tip if you do go this route is make sure you delete and re-create the mapped drive using the net use command within the script. 99% of failures I've seen are due to the drive unmapping itself of someone else mapping a drive and using the same drive letter.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X