No announcement yet.

Psu min wattage.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psu min wattage.

I'm considering getting the following:
    Quad core CPU (Q9300), 1 HDD, graphics card; 512MB (PCI-E), 4GB DDR3 RAM, 20x DVD R/W

I'll be playing a lot of games on this, and that ideally I should get a 500w or even a 600w psu.

The case I was looking at comes with a 420w psu. Do you think this will be ok?
    I know that it will work with the setup and that I shouldn't have any issues unless i'm adding more hardware or something.
    What do u think?
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: Psu min wattage.

You've not said what graphics card, what hard drive etc so we don't know how much power they're going to draw. In general it's always best to get the best PSU you can afford. In addition, the PSUs that ship with cases are often unbranded generic models which are unlikely to be manufactured to an especially high standard. It's always worth getting one from a reputable brand.

Has Google not told you anything?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.