Search Engines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Engines

I have always suspected the likes of Google and Yahoo create their search lists based on priority given to those willing to pay more. Am I wrong?

If not then why is it if you search for the site of a manufacturer, invariably instead of seeing the site first you often see sites of suppliers of the products presumably because they are willing to pay more for priority?

Re: Search Engines

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
    I have always suspected the likes of Google and Yahoo create their search lists based on priority given to those willing to pay more. Am I wrong?
    There's always going to be commercial pressure to brown-nose those who are prepared to pay. Google offers Sponsored Links on the right hand side of the search results page. Generally though, the more reliable search engines will display results in order of relevance, as determined by their indexing algorithms.

If not then why is it if you search for the site of a manufacturer, invariably instead of seeing the site first you often see sites of suppliers of the products presumably because they are willing to pay more for priority?
    That really depends on the manufacturer and how well designed their website is, among other factors. That said, I've just tried about 20 different manufacturers, both large companies and two-bit operations that operate out of the back room of the pub, and as long as the company name isn't too obscure they generally come near the top, if not at the top. If your company is named Garden Sheds Ltd then that's likely to get lost in the deluge of por... I mean, other related sites.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for your opinion

I was fortunate enough to pick names for my site not used by others, and although I pay nothing to the search engines it being purely as a hobby, if you search with Google for Gordons Freeware or Sigord you will probably find it mentioned first. I must admit I do get some 10,000 visitors per year because of the Daily amusing contributions I show, which perhaps gives it some priority.

Comment

I think Google use traffic stats to determine your position in the results too.

Gordons Freeware comes top, Sigord is second. Still, you say Gordon's, you think Gin
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          I think Google use traffic stats to determine your position in the results too.

Gordons Freeware comes top, Sigord is second. Still, you say Gordon's, you think Gin
          Funny that you didn't think first of your prime minister.

Anyway, GordonSweet, you may want to research SEO (Search Engine Optimization). There are heaps of books and sites out there that explain it all in detail. It should be noted that there are 'black hat' SEO techniques and "white hat" SEO techniques. Stay away from the black hat techniques unless you like the idea of being permanently banned from Google.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks again. I am at present in discussion with someone who appears to think it makes no difference what you pay Google etc to get a site noticed. So I have asked in which case why does my site Host offer the following freebies?

UP TO £50 OF GOOGLE ADWORDS ADVERTISING

Become a Streamline.Net customer and receive up to £50 towards Google AdWords for free! With AdWords you will be directing targeted new visitors to your site in a matter of minutes. Sign up today and get started. So why not checkout our hosting packages and sign up now for your FREE voucher! If you are an existing customer you can request your free voucher via your control panel. For more details on how Google AdWords can help drive traffice to your site please click here.

UP TO £50 OF MSN ADCENTRE ADVERTISING

Become a Streamline.Net customer and receive up to £50 towards MSN AdCentre for free! With AdCentre you will be directing targeted new visitors to your site in a matter of minutes. Sign up today and get started. So why not checkout our hosting packages and sign up now for your FREE voucher! If you are an existing customer you can request your free voucher via your control panel. For more details on how MSN AdCentre can help drive traffice to your site please click here.

FREE £30 OF MIRAGO ADVERTISING

Streamline.Net have teamed up with Mirago, the largest PPC provider based in the UK to provide you a £30 voucher for a new account. There are over half-a-billion searches a month via Mirago and current advertisers include ScrewFix Direct, Cheapflights.co.uk and figleaves.com
            The £30 credit is non-refundable and will only be credited to an account after it has been opened online and you have paid a non-refundable £50 deposit.

Comment

Not to point anyone away from this forum, but there's fantastic SEO help over at Webmasterworld.com. There's a wealth of information there and could be of great help to you.

Also, Google gives a little bit more weight to sites they deem as "reputable". It's all a part of their fancy, mystical algorithm.

Comment

AdWords is an entirely different thing than normal search engine results. AdWords are the paid advertisings that you see on both Google's search results page and also on regular web sites. Read more about it here and also over at Wikipedia. In fact, look at the advertisements on this very web page. You'll see a tiny link that says "Ads by Google". If you want to advertise through Google you choose various things such as which search terms you want your advertisement to show up on and for how long and then you pay accordingly. However, all advertisements are clearly marked as such. I've never heard solid allegations that Google's actual search results are weighted to the highest bidder and if they are it would only be a cloak and dagger operation since Google never advertises that you can increase your search engine results by paying them. The only way to get your site on their search engine results is to properly SEO it.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Tell your friend if Google didn't receive money for advertising then how would they be generating massive profits.

They also keep an eye on people/companies/sites that try to manipulate the ranking system to their own advantage. The one that comes to mind is BMW an couple of years back where (from memory) if you clicked on a certain secondhand car sites you were redirected to the BMW website. Quite clever but Google have blacklisted sites for doing that and it cost BMW some dosh to avoid being blacklisted.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This guy was asking in his Yahoo Forum to search Google for his programming software to report its ranking in listings. He refused to accept my posting and where I stated Google and Yahoo etc probably give priority according to how much you pay them, such as now with ADWORDS. I also posted this is why you do not always see the manufacturer’s site shown first, and instead someone selling its products. I suspect he is scared stiff Google etc would see my posting and blacklist his site. Likewise he being an ex-employee of the BBC, he refused my posting awhile back complaining the BBC Real Player often upsets Windows Media Player settings. So much for free speech !!

I am sure in the past I have seen when you apply to have a site listed by Google and Yahoo you were offered choices according to how much you pay to affect how fast it would be listed. Does anyone else remember that, because it does not seem to show now?

Comment

Doesn't he know that Google's motto is "Do no evil" unless you are sucking up to the Chinese Govt or giving search details to the million and 1 security services in the US.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

He refused to accept my posting and where I stated Google and Yahoo etc probably give priority according to how much you pay them, such as now with ADWORDS.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, Google does not give priority in their search engine results to those that pay for AdWords. The search engine results are according to their own super-secret searching algorithm. AdWords are only, repeat: only concerning the specifically marked advertisements in the search results or on third-party web sites... such as Petri.co.il.

I also posted this is why you do not always see the manufacturer’s site shown first, and instead someone selling its products
                        The biggest reason that a manufacturer's own site doesn't show up first is due to the competitor's willingness to pay some serious currency to SEO their site better than anyone else.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Doesn't he know that Google's motto is "Do no evil" unless you are sucking up to the Chinese Govt or giving search details to the million and 1 security services in the US.
                        Google's external slogan is "Don't be evil" but their internal slogan is rumored to be "Evil is whatever Sergey says it is."
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                        X