Moving from HP to Dell hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from HP to Dell hardware

We're moving from HP servers (blades, commodity boxes, workhorses) to Dell servers (blades, commodity boxes, workhorses). The "why" part is irrelevant - these decisions were made higher up. It's going to happen. At this point it's servers only. Existing external storage and networking infrastructure will remain in place.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone on what to expect with Dell from hardware, software, and support standpoints. I've heard a few negative sketchy details on the hardware over the years but I'm curious what the Dell server landscape looks like lately.

Thank you in advance,
    Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: Moving from HP to Dell hardware

I have a somewhat biased opinion as I've only used Dell hardware, but here's my take:

Dell hardware is robust, stable, and scalable. Their support suffered for a few years but this mostly affected home users and those who chose "lower priority" support contracts. They've worked hard the last few years to get support back up to snuff. My experience with their enterprise support has been nothing short of exceptional. They're dilligent, knowledgeable, and responsive.

Comment

If you use HPs iLO you will not like DELLs "DRAC." Also I love HPs SmartStart, Firmware CDs, management agents and Smart Array controllers. When I've had to support the odd DELL server its always been a bitch navigating their website and trying to find out how to download the latest management software.

I would hate going from HP to DELL.

Comment

I think it's relative to what you're used to. I have no problem navigating Dell's web site. They have a pretty competent set of software for managing a Dell infrastructure: Dell OpenManage Server Administrator, Dell IT Assistant, Dell Network Manager, etc.

Comment

I've had absolutely no problems with Dell servers (mainly 1950 and 2950 series) but have no experience with SANs, Blades etc.

For what its worth, always ask for a discount - I've had up to 40% off the web price straight off.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I used to like the Dell stuff but couldn't go back myself either.
            Personal choice of course.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well i think its all a matter of choice and prefferance. Its like comparing Lexus to mercedes.

We mainly use HP, and to my point of view it is a bit more inteligent design compared to DELL.

I must say that DELL has improved a lot over the years. 5 years back HP was the number One choice.
              [Powershell]
              Start-DayDream
              Set-Location Malibu Beach
              Get-Drink
              Lay-Back
              Start-Sleep
              Wake-Up!
              Resume-Service
              Write-Warning
              [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Get yourself an account manager at Dell and conduct your business directly through them. If you tell them your budget (which naturally you tend to scale down a bit) and what you want they can usually offer you a good deal.

My only grumble about Dell would be when it comes to downloading drivers from their website for a particular component, when the system it came from is no longer around so you can't search by service tag or model number. To be fair though, they all have standard part numbers so you can always phone or email your account manager for assistance if necessary, if you can't find the drivers through
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We use only Dell & have never had one fail on us yet. Cant comment on the blade servers, but the low end servers I find gutless for whats in them.

We have a mix of the 800, 905, 1435 & 2950's.

The 2950's are fantastic I find. Rock solid, super fast & reliable. Cant comment on support as we have never needed to call them.

Comment

Our customers use a mixture of both, no great problems with either. I prefer many of HP's management/monitoring tools to Dell's though, too many times I've had Dell techs ask me repeatedly to install OpenManage before they'll help me.

Can't say I agree with those who don't like Dell's support site though, it's not great but I've always found HP's far worse to navigate.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                      I've always found HP's far worse to navigate.
                      And their FTP server bandwidth is ridiculously restricted.
                      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Very interesting thread (and I am not being sarcastic). Nice tip about getting the Account manager and the other about the amount of discount one may get when one is asked for.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We are currently a Dell house and could possibly be contemplating moving to HP hardware.

From a Dell perspective though we have had controller issues, PERC3, that took the Dell technician 6 attemepts to find.

Our Corporate Head Office ahs changed over to HP now and have had no end of problems with the hardware. Not sure what equipment they have though.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            Very interesting thread (and I am not being sarcastic). Nice tip about getting the Account manager and the other about the amount of discount one may get when one is asked for.

The big boys are making zero money on hardware and will practically give it away. Free laser printers and rack KVM consoles are not uncommon. Software licensing and support contracts is where they make all their profit. And I speak from experience, as I used to work in tech support for one of them.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                              support contracts is where they make all their profit
                              Dell etc in general produce very reliable machines (in terms of hardware, NOT in terms of standard OS installations) and I've never had a Dell server fail on me yet. But they know that companies can't take the risk and will pay significant sums on warranties. A small gesture such as a free rack for the servers they want to buy could easily ensure that the customer buys from you rather than a competitor
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X