Sending text message from the server to Domain users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending text message from the server to Domain users

Hi, I remember in NT4.0 I was able to send a text message from my DC to LAN (domain) users. For example if I need to reboot the server I would simply send a text message (alert) that would pop on the users screen and say "Message from administrator (or server name) and then the text of my message.
    How can I do that in Server 2003 ?
    Thanks

Re: Sending text message from the server to Domain users

What did you use to do this using NT, net send?

You can still use that on Server 2003, but first you will need to enable the Messenger service on the server and clients and ensure it is running. You can configure the service to start automatically using Group Policy. Once that's setup, the syntax for net send is the same as it was on NT.

Keep in mind that enabling the Messenger service allows the messages to appear regardless of their origin, depending on your firewall configuration you could potentially find that you get a lot of spam.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Sending text message from the server to Domain users

A similar question can be found through the forum search
      http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...light=net+send
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
      X