Blackberries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberries

From what I have experienced with getting phones synced with emails is..................... never....ever........ever.....under any circumstance.....get a Blackberry, unless of course someone is paying the bills for you, then lets bring on that juicy BES server or Notify Server........mmmm..mm mmm just love chewing through the $$$$.

Why on earth would anyone buy a BB when you can get Nokia's, Palm & I-Phones that use Active sync & sync your mail for free? There is of course your data plan which comes with most PDA's now. But considering you need a data plan PLUS a BES or Notify server or host costs for either one, why bother?

So unless its a BB, the configuration is easy. Plus BB's are prone to crashes after downloading Notify software onto the phone.

Re: Smart phones

I believe the data plan from abroad works out more expensive for ActiveSync where it connects to your Exchange server rather than Blackberry where it only connects to the "local" Blackberry servers (ie local call for want of a better expression) which then route it.

Plus there are other considerations. If the traders want a blackberry then....

Personally I don't like them but each to their own.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

This thread went after 2 posts. Let's please keep it on track. Thanks.

Stacey, your suggestion is appeciated. or ?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post
        From what I have experienced with getting phones synced with emails is..................... never....ever........ever.....under any circumstance.....get a Blackberry, unless of course someone is paying the bills for you, then lets bring on that juicy BES server or Notify Server........mmmm..mm mmm just love chewing through the $$$$.

Why on earth would anyone buy a BB when you can get Nokia's, Palm & I-Phones that use Active sync & sync your mail for free? There is of course your data plan which comes with most PDA's now. But considering you need a data plan PLUS a BES or Notify server or host costs for either one, why bother?

So unless its a BB, the configuration is easy. Plus BB's are prone to crashes after downloading Notify software onto the phone.
        Wow your really against Blackberry eh!!!!

We run a BES server here and i've had none of the issues you've seen reported to me.

BTW did you also know that you can download a BES server for free directly from Blackberry???

All of our Blackberry handsets are on an unlimited data plan from Telstra @ a cost of $59 per month (i think).

Comment

We too use BB and have had absolutely zero issues. There is NO CONFIGURATION to be done on the devices once they are "Activated" to their BES server. You type in a user name and activation password and away it goes. You don't even need to tell the device which BES server to look for... it does THAT magic all on its own.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

We run a BES server here and i've had none of the issues you've seen reported to me.
            Ok maybe us & every other company have just been unlucky then.

BTW did you also know that you can download a BES server for free directly from Blackberry???
            Yes, but who configures it & sets up all the handsets ? There is quite bit of configuration to getting a BES server working, then there is either the extra PC/Server/Virtual server you need to run it. Man hours & hardware just on that is deterrent. Then there is monitoring the extra server.

If a client doesnt have in house IT with Exchange they need to pay the additional costs to have it hosted with Telstra/Optus etc.

Also having a BES means another point of failure.

With Iphone, Palm & Nokia, there is 2 points of failure vs 3 with Blackberry.

All of our Blackberry handsets are on an unlimited data plan from Telstra @ a cost of $59 per month (i think).
            If your labour comes for free, then that works out well.

There is NO CONFIGURATION to be done on the devices once they are "Activated" to their BES server. You type in a user name and activation password and away it goes. You don't even need to tell the device which BES server to look for... it does THAT magic all on its own.
            Something tells me someone else sets these up for you...

If you have a list of who has what handset with which corresponding PIN, then maybe. But a BES user account needs to be matched with an exchange account, plus a PIN, its a 2 sided job.

Plus, if you DONT happen to have exchange & have Kerio as mail server, you need a Notify server.

If you have ever synced up a PDA with Active sync you will breathe a sigh of relief at the simplicity. Could you teach a level 1 tech to set up a BES on their own & sync up BB handsets? Then master the BES management? Its 5 minute education with Active sync & it works with multiple mail platforms.

I will give you both a race to get a sync solution going for handests starting with only the handsets & the mail server. The loser/s has to buy the winner (me) 1 beer for every 5 mins after I have synced up the PDA.

Comment

This is getting more than a bit off topic
              Split and move to Misc forum requested.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I add a user to the BES, and set an Activation Password. I also apply a policy according to who the user is. I do NOT specify a device PIN. The telephony guy buys a device and enables the SIM card for Blackberry. The user types in the email address and activation password I give him. The user reads his emails within ten minutes.

Yes, there was some setup to do to build this environment, just like any other environment. But now it is set up, it is as simple as I describe it.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Blackberries

Nobody notice the warning I posted above? Thread split and moved.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ok maybe us & every other company have just been unlucky then.
                    Must be as the installation, whiule fiddly, once done correctly is stable. Something tells me the installations are being done wrong to be having as many problems.

Yes, but who configures it & sets up all the handsets ? There is quite bit of configuration to getting a BES server working, then there is either the extra PC/Server/Virtual server you need to run it. Man hours & hardware just on that is deterrent. Then there is monitoring the extra server.

If a client doesnt have in house IT with Exchange they need to pay the additional costs to have it hosted with Telstra/Optus etc.

Also having a BES means another point of failure.

With Iphone, Palm & Nokia, there is 2 points of failure vs 3 with Blackberry.
                    I set up all the handsets in our part of the org.

Not really any extra configuration over doing any other setup. Adding an extra server??? Not here. We have ours running on a little used file server and it runs sweet as a nut.

But isn't that the same for any company that doesn't have a mail system in house???

Well if you want to support a number of different manufacturers handsets then go for it. I have around 3 different handsets and the OS on these handsets is the same.

If your labour comes for free, then that works out well.
                    All comes as part of my job so it does require me maintaining the server, along with the others.

If you have a list of who has what handset with which corresponding PIN, then maybe. But a BES user account needs to be matched with an exchange account, plus a PIN, its a 2 sided job.

Plus, if you DONT happen to have exchange & have Kerio as mail server, you need a Notify server.

If you have ever synced up a PDA with Active sync you will breathe a sigh of relief at the simplicity. Could you teach a level 1 tech to set up a BES on their own & sync up BB handsets? Then master the BES management? Its 5 minute education with Active sync & it works with multiple mail platforms.

I will give you both a race to get a sync solution going for handests starting with only the handsets & the mail server. The loser/s has to buy the winner (me) 1 beer for every 5 mins after I have synced up the PDA.
                    Not quite sure wehat you mean by the first comment. When i add a user to the BES server it pulls the info from AD. You don't need a PIN number either as this gets done when the handset is activating. Can't be that hard adding a notify server (Never done it so can't say).

Yes i could teach a level 1 tech how to setup a BES on there own, not that a level 1 tech should be doing so. BES Managment is a sinch(sp). In fact there is no real managment as when configured correctly the server just works. Adding users take all of 20 secs. Activating a user wirelessly takes all of about a minute and a half. Taking note of the details for the users is all about how you keep control of who has what device which for me takes about 2 mins.

Is exchange still using the push technology (Its been a long time since i looked at it)?? You still need to configure the Exchange server to send messages or do you literally mean pluggin the PDA into the client computer and synching from there??? If you are then this is a whole different kettle of fish.

Comment

Yes, there was some setup to do to build this environment,

At least a half to full days job setting up the BES. Not sure what you charge for labour, but we charge $120 per hour , so that's between $500 - $1000 in Labour just for configuring the BES VS $0.00 for Active sync. Even a non techie can configure Active - Sync

Well if you want to support a number of different manufacturers handsets then go for it.

By support Active Sync it means we can support many models (including BB's http://www.astrasync.com/ ) & people can buy according to taste & features, whereas with BES your stuck with just BB's.

Lol.. Touch'e

Its been about 18 months since we migrated away from BES & found it a smart move. So I cant remember all the steps in getting someone hooked up to BES. But I thought it was about a 10 min job between entering it into BES & the client side testing.

But again, I point out that

1) There is the Labour in setting up a BES to begin with
                      2) Labour costs in monitoring it.
                      3) Extra costs if you have a dedicated server e.g. hardware, AV, OS etc.
                      4) Then there is the big one... Blackberry CAL's. http://www.blackberrygadgets.com/Bla...es-s/10712.htm
                      BES-Client-Access-Lic-1-userer
                      Our Price: $89.00
                      Lic-5-users
                      Our Price: $409.00
                      BES-Client-Access-Lic-10-users
                      Our Price: $699.00
                      BLACKBERRY-ENTERPRISE-SERVER-CAL-50U
                      Our Price: $3,299.00
                      BlackBerry Client Access License - BES CAL, 500 user
                      Our Price: $27,499.00
                      BlackBerry Client Access License - BES CAL, 1000 user
                      Our Price: $48,760.00
                      [/B]Suppose you have a site with 1000 users. Thats $48K in Licensing alone VS........ $0.00 with Active sync.
                      Last edited by mobius2011; 15th October 2008, 10:42. Reason: Request by Mod

Comment

I also found it was prone to crashes after downloading software onto the phone.Users would get a variety of these errors.

httpcolon forwardslash x 2 blackberryforums dot pinstack dot com/f74/

We still have 1 client that uses BB for about 30 staff, but we have them on a Kerio Mail server, so they need to use Notifylink to sync with, which we outsource.

But not to totaly tread on the blackberry, here are some of the features I liked with it compared to Active Sync.

1) BB has better compression
                        2) BB/BES has security that meets Military standards
                        3) There is less sync conflicts with BB than there is with Active Sync.
                        4) It has GoogleSync - http colon forwardslash x 2 googlesystem dot blogspot dot com/2007/12/google-calendar-sync-for-blackberry dot html. So you can get by without a BES for some people.
                        Last edited by biggles77; 18th October 2008, 07:41. Reason: Edited URLs

Comment

Mobius,
                          To avoid any accusations of spamming, could you please remove all the live links in Post#11 above?
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Mobius TBH i think we could go around in circles with this so i think we should just agree to disagree lol.

Its all good fun and having these different technologies is what makes life interesting.

Comment

URLs "edited" to remove the hyperlinks.

On a personal note, the font colour sucks because it make it hard for me (and presumable others) to read.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X