Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Building Application Server - Do I need Video Card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Building Application Server - Do I need Video Card?

I'm custom building a server which will act as an application server.
    Users (about 50) will connect to it for applications and file sharing.

Does the sever need a video card...would adding a video card improve performance?

When users run graphics intensive applications what handles the load - cpu or video card? Would adding a video card improve performance if users run graphics intensive applications?

Thanks

Re: Custom Building Application Server - Do I need Video Card?

Do the users connect to the server through Terminal Services? If not, why do you think the application will affect the server? Such applications run on the client stations, not on the server. Aren't they?
    The server will need a graphic card of some type, otherwise you will not be able to install it and manage it...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Yes, users connect to the server via Terminal Services

I'm asking because I want to know if I need to spend money on a powerful video card
      or, can I get away with a cheap mobo built-in video card just to manage the server?

Thanks

Comment

Then the server is not an application server, but serves as Terminal Server.
        What do you mean by
        graphics intensive applications
        ?
        Games? Flash? CAD? Video and/or graphic editing? In this case, a more powerful graphic card might help, but what about the other things? Dual- or Quad-cores? RAM? Fast hard drives? Even the RAID method can assist you in getting faster writing rates to the HD (in case of video editing, it is very important).
        Please provide more details:
        - what application(s) are we talking about;
        - what server (hardware) and OS;
        - are the users local, or WAN?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

if nothing graphic intensive is running on the server (and in TS, it probably will not run well anyway) an o/b vga adapter is enough, you will waste some of the server RAM on video memory though.
          if the server does graphic intensive work, look at the nvidia quadro series, they are perfect for cad/cam apps.

btw, any reason a mission critical server is not a brandname server, with all the redundant features, like hotswappable hdds and psus?
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I'm trying to built a green-server (using minimal wattage to run), and I thought the video-card is the most wasteful part (eats up wattage for little benefit).

Sorinso, commonly used applications on the server will be:
            -Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel & Word & PowerPoint (graphics intensive)
            -Internet Browser
            -Adobe Acrobat Professional for PDF file creation
            -Photoshop (casual use - maybe once per week)

Users will connect via WAN.

Dynasty, I have already planned Raid with SATA drives for hot swap.

Question is: For a Terminal Services server with the above mentioned features, will a powerful videocard increase performance enough to justify the electricity it wastes?
            Last edited by HotDay2222; 9th October 2008, 22:00.

Comment

Any feedback to the below, anyone?

Comment

To tell you the truth, it's pretty tough to know the exact answer... I cannot see from the applications' list and the usage you gave what will be the real load on the system from the graphics point of view.
                Here are some data regarding power drain of some vNidia products:
                Quatro FX5600 - 171W
                Quatro FX4500x2 - 145W
                Quatro FX3500 - 80W
                Quatro FX560 - 30W

But which one it's the best for you? I have no idea...
                As for this moment, I would go with the built-in graphics card and see... If it won't be enough, consult the server's manufacturer specs regarding what additional graphics card are supported and pick the one that has minimum power drain and it satisfies your needs.
                Link: NVIDIA Quadro FX - Product Literature
                Last edited by sorinso; 10th October 2008, 13:54. Reason: link added ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X