cant get into the raid management screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant get into the raid management screen

Im trying to install a SATA raid controller LSI Megaraid SAS 8204XLP on IBM Xseries 336 server.
    the board recognized the card and when the computer restarts I can see that the controller is able to start and the HDDs are recognized.
    When I try to configure the raid by pressing the Ctrl+M key I keep getting the message "Planner PCI device does not respond or disabled by user".
    Im not sure but I think this message comes from the board.
    I think I tried every option in the BIOS menu but with no luck.
    any ideas?

Re: cant get into the raid management screen

CTRL + M doesn't sund like the right key combo. Is there another one displayed during boot?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

this is the correct one.
      I can see on the screen when the controller initializing and in the related documentary.

Comment

if you google the error:

http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/suppo...cid=MIGR-41551
        #Planar PCI device does not respond or disabled by user - IBM eServer xSeries 360
        Applicable countries and regions
        Source
        RETAIN tip H175008
        Symptom
        BIOS reports the following message after you install a RAID adapter and cable to the onboard SCSI connector:
        "00180700 9005008F Planar PCI Device does not respond or disabled by user"
        Affected configurations
        The system is the IBM eServer xSeries 360 server, type 8686, model 1RX, 2RX, or 3RX.
        The system is configured with one or more (1-4) processors.
        Additional information
        This message is not an indication of a problem but is only a message informing you of external control of SCSI disk drives through the onboard SCSI connector and subsequent disabling of the onboard SCSI controller.
        This is a Power on Reset (POR) information response to connecting the RAID cable/connector and subsequent disabling of the onboard SCSI control chip.

The RAID adapter's SCSI controller is now in control of the system's SCSI disk drives.

another link:
        http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1252103&page=1

anyhow, make sure you have the device enabled in BIOS, try it in another slot, or even try to replace it with another
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

thanks,

I tried googling it but maybe with the wrong string.

so this means the problem is not in the motherboard but with my card.
          I donít think the problem is with the BIOS configuration because I tried everything, but maybe Iím wrong...

like i wrote before: I can see the controller starting and recognizing the HDDs and if I'll put a bootable cd it will run, the problem is only when I try to run the raid configuration tool, then I get the message and thatís it, the computer is not freezing or anything.

I donít have another slot to try the card in and i also dont have another server with PCI-X or another card with PCI-x.

Comment

try to reset the BIOS, or maybe update it, if the version is old

otherwise - might be the card issue, or the MB itself

BTW, I have seen some old controllers that have a jumper locking the controller bios away. have a look at this one, you might find a lock jumper on it

Comment

I tried updating the BIOS and Firmware on both motherboard and controller but this didnít help.

I tried installing a different controller it was not the same one exactly but it is from LSI and it works.

I think Iím going to take it back to the store and get a new one this one is no good.....

thanks for the help

Comment

I would get one directly from the server vendor - something that is supported on the server

Comment

Working...
                X