SATA external HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA external HD

My backups were taking too long, so I bought an SATA to eSATA external host bracket and installed it in my server. I knew nothing about this so I thought I could just boot up and it would recognize my external HDD that I hooked up to it but that did not work. After some tooling around, I found that the BIOS has both "SATA Port A" and "SATA Port B" OFF. I set them to "automatic" I believe, and rebooted but each time I reboot, it gets set back to the OFF setting. Any idea what is going on? Do I need to do anything with drivers or anything? I'm very wet behind the ear with all this.

Re: SATA external HD

so I bought an SATA to eSATA external host bracket and installed it in my server.
    What sort? Does it plug into a PCI/PCI express channell or you plug a Sata cable into one of the spare Sata channels on the motherboard & plug the cable into your bracket?

I ran into a similar problem & bought a PCI SATA/ESATA card

http://www.altech.com.au/productinfo.aspx?id=8246

Then bought an external ESATA enclosure to run D2D backups.

http://www.altech.com.au/productinfo.aspx?id=12536

This got around the problem as it comes with its own drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post
      What sort? Does it plug into a PCI/PCI express channell or you plug a Sata cable into one of the spare Sata channels on the motherboard & plug the cable into your bracket?

I ran into a similar problem & bought a PCI SATA/ESATA card

http://www.altech.com.au/productinfo.aspx?id=8246

Then bought an external ESATA enclosure to run D2D backups.

http://www.altech.com.au/productinfo.aspx?id=12536

This got around the problem as it comes with its own drivers.

It plugs into SATA Port A and B on the motherboard and then installs in a bracket for eSATA access from the outside. That product you listed seems promising though. I don't lose speed by going that route, do I?

Comment

I don't lose speed by going that route, do I?
        Yes, i suppose you do depending on what speed your SATA channels are on your motherboard. 1.5, 3 or 6Gb channels.

Wheras the PCI card does a max of 1.5GBps which is still damn fast, but if your doing a few TB this could be an issue. The client I have this on only has about 500Gb in total so the D2D backup only takes an hour or 2. The base that is. The incrementals take a few minutes.

You might want to plug a spare SATA drive into the channelon your motherboard you intend to use for your esata card & make sure that it all works ok. Try to remove the card out of the picture for the time being while you isolatethe issue.

Comment

I found pci-E sata II cards that transfter up to 3.0 Gbits/S. I purchased one for $40.00. I will post back with results.

Comment

I found pci-E sata II cards that transfter up to 3.0 Gbits/S
            Damn, I bought mine about 6 months ago. I suppose in another few months there will be 6Gig cards. Thats the way it goes in IT I guess.

Comment

Well, I installed the PCI express to eSATA card, and my backup is on hour 22 and still not done. I find that odd. How could it be just as slow or almost as slow as usb 2.0?

Comment

the bottleneck might be somewhere else
                Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

and my backup is on hour 22 and still not done. I find that odd. How could it be just as slow or almost as slow as usb 2.0?
                  How many GB/TB are we talking about here?

If you plug the drive directly into a spare SATA channel on the Motherboard, does it take just as long? Just for tests purposes, say transfering 1GB ? Then plug the drive into the esata channel & transfer the same 1Gb file & check the time difference.

Comment

Just as a minor add to this, make sure your disks are defragmented as well as this can seriously affect backup speeds.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

It is roughly a 400GB backup. How long should that take roughly? Not 24 hours, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X