Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webbased FTP / Explorer

Hello,

I have a question about how you people are solving this practical problem i have. When i install a Terminal Server and the entire environment is finished, some people are having some files on there old pc or laptop.

How do you get these files on the terminal server.

I am looking for the best way and here is some more information.

The PC's are not in a domain and are fat clients (old pc's acting as thin client).
    In some situations i have created a FTP solution, other situations i have used a batch file at start up to create a network drive.

Creating a network connection from a not domain computer, i need to give the command the /user: command and with this the user is seeying the password of the specific user i use in the batch file.

The FTP solution is asking for an username and password.

There for i am looking for a solution like a Ajax browser ( http://sourceforge.net/project/scree...937&ssid=57500 )

This is looking nice, but i know there is a better one wich is just a Windows Explorer in Internet Explorer.

My question is wich solution do you use for this situation?

Re: Webbased FTP / Explorer

Map on the Terminal Server, the local drives from the fat client?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Map on the Terminal Server, the local drives from the fat client?
      In short, i want to add files to the Terminal Server environment, from the pc's.
      The pc's aren't in a domain, so if you want to connect to a mapped drive you need enter some credentials.

I want a nice solution to make it alot easier for the customer to get there files on the server without all the hassle of credentials.

Comment

mstsc has a nice switch that connects local drives to the terminal session
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by Iznogoud View Post
          i want to add files to the Terminal Server environment, from the pc's.
          Sorry, I should have expressed myself better. I should have use "redirect" instead of "map" the drives in my previous post, because I meant that you should use the mstsc options (as dyasny mentioned later). This way, the users will have access to their local drives, while logged in to the server, with the credentials they used to establish the remote session.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Sorry, I should have expressed myself better. I should have use "redirect" instead of "map" the drives in my previous post, because I meant that you should use the mstsc options (as dyasny mentioned later). This way, the users will have access to their local drives, while logged in to the server, with the credentials they used to establish the remote session.
            I know this option excists, but today's computers have not 1 drive but 4, 5, 6 or more. If i allow redirecting of drives it will become a blur for people wich drive is wich and i know they have indications like C on . . . but even then i know people will be asking wich drive do i need etc.

The ideal situation would be to drag and drop files in your environment and offcourse do i know this isn't possible, but something as simple as that is a better solution.

I will try the the redirected folders and hopefull they understand how it works even after 10 times explaining

PS. don't think of me, like some fool wich installs his first terminal server, but i am working for a small company and the solutions wich i use are good, but i would like to know more solutions besides mine. Just to learn even more and hopefully find a better solution to some of the problems / solutions i have encoutered.

Comment

First of all, there is no such thing like a dumb question. There are only patronizing and smart-ass answers (OK, so maybe there are some exceptions ).
              Now, back to the issue: you did not say anything about your environment. Nothing about your clients or your server...
              I can tell you that I use at home XP Pro, with RDC v6.0.6001, and I have in it the option of choosing which drives to redirect. I think you might want to take a look at this, it might be exactly the thing you need.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X