Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pen Drive issue...weird

Hi All

I have 1 user who wants to use a pen drive. No big suprise there.

Problem is, his pen drive always comes up with Access Denied on his PC. Logged in as Domain Admin on his PC, still no joy - trying to do anything with it just results in that message.

I tried it on my laptop (Vista x64) and it works, and on an XP machine which worked fine.

Any ideas?

Re: Pen Drive issue...weird

Originally posted by hongman View Post
    Any ideas?
    Actually, yes...
    Why don't you start by telling us what OS is the machine running, what kind of pen, what interface it has (USB?) ...
    After you connect the pen, have you checked the Device Manager? Does the OS recognize the device? Is the driver OK? Have you checked the Event log for anything related?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Haha, sorry.

Problem machine is XP Pro SP3. Device is detected in Device Manager (USB Mass Storage), shows up in My Computer.

Didnt check event log, ill do that tomorrow, but all I get is "Access is Denied" error when trying to access it in any way (open, format, etc)

Comment

Are the XP machines you got it working on, identical to this one in every way? Members of the same domain, all have NTFS C: drives, same driver loads when you plug it in (check the driver tab of the device in device manager), etc etc etc. Have they all got the same Group Policies applied to them?

Is the pen drive encrypted? Is he using the same user account to access it as he used to encrypt it? Is it formatted NTFS or FAT? Have you tried to check the permissions on the drive object itself? Has someone been messing with permissions in the registry?

Just some food for thought - I don't need answers to all these questions, they're just starting points for routes I would explore if I was troubleshooting this problem.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

And check to see if the USB device has a write protect feature that has been enabled.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have some other pressing issues right now but when I get a chance, I will report back with results!

Comment

If the machine is on a domain do you have any software runnning that would restrict using pen drives??

Comment

have you tried another pen drive on the users PC ?

Comment

Update:

Still ongoing. Tried another pen drive in the same PC, works. Tried the pen drive on 2 other PC's, fine.

Seems to be just this 1 pen drive on this 1 pc that wont work!

Nothing is on the PC except AV, Office and Sage.

Cant see anything that would stop it? It is detected fine, no driver errors, can see in My Computer etc.

Wierd!

Comment

Step 1. Drop USB drive on floor.
                    Step 2. Crush USB drive with foot
                    Step 3. Supply user with new USB drive

In all seriousness now, these devices do fail especially if users leave the blasted things connected all day (they do get a bit warm). The price of a new one will probably be less than the time that has been taken seeing if the device is faulty and trying to fix it. By connecting another USB device and found it working, it is a fairly healthy assumption that the problem one has a problem.

There are tools available that will test USB devices but I don't know how good/reliable they are. If anyone has any comments about USB testing tools I would be interested in hearing about them. You can post here and I will split them off to a new thread so as to keep this on topic. Ta.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah, we already bought another pen drive I think im going to abandon this, just worth the hassle!

Thanks to those who tried.

Comment

Working...
                      X