Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DELL Dimension Boot

Hi,

My brother gave me a Dell Dimension 2400 to rebuild so he could give it to someone but I cannot, whatever I try, get it to boot form CD or floppy despite the fact that the boot order is set to Floppy --> CD --> HD.

I've looked around the net and I see I'm not the only one who has this problem so ...

1. Does anyone know a way round this? My aim is to put a clean XP build on the system so removing all traces of the old build ... when in Windows the system can see the XP CD fine and ...

2. Why the hell do companies like Dell do this kind of thing (I recently had a similar problem with an Acer Media Centre PC)?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: DELL Dimension Boot

I'm pretty sure Dell don't restrict the boot devices on purpose (probably should have realised that when you wrote "I've looked around the net and I see I'm not the only one who has this problem so".

Are you sure you are booting from bootable media?
    What errors do you see?
    If you boot the current OS can you read the disks in the drives etc?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy,

Yes, I just used it to install the OS on an Advent Laptop ... there's the possibility I suppose that the CD can't properly read the disc because it was created on an superior drive (DVD ReWriter) but the existing Windows OS can see the disc.

There are no errors ... the system just acts like neither the floppy or the CD are there. My best guess is that it's by manufacturer design to prevent *ordinary* users from trashing the system in some way, as I said I have an Acer MPC that won't boot from its DVD either.

Kyu

Comment

OK,

Maybe I'm a numpty, maybe I'm not but I know I've never seen anything like this before in a BIOS ...

Not ONLY do you have to set the boot order as per usual, you have to enable the device for boot (puts a check against the device) ... this isn't something I've seen on any BIOS before.

At least I have the answer so thanks for replying

Kyu

Comment

Dell WANTs you to be able to easily boot off of stuff for their system restore CDs and the like.

Glad you solved the problem
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X