Fail-over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fail-over

I am looking to see if anybody has done any type of remote fail-over on there servers, and if you have it hosted by a company? We want to have some of our critical servers do some replicating at some point in time instead of our backup. I have never set up anything like this up so i figured I would ask to see what type of options are out there.
    What do I know, I am only 26.

Re: Fail-over

Are you talking just OS or Application too?
    DoubleTake can be a good product (imo), Ex07 now has things like SCR / CCR, there are clustering options etc
    Plain data can be replicated many ways too now. Do you have anything more specific?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well nothing super specific like we would like our web server/database server up in running as soon as possible if a disaster would occur, we are not try to repliate our DC's just our important infrastructure data. We are using SQL 2000 on our database server.

Comment

I've used DoubleTake in a many to one situation for Exchange 03 and it worked, with tweaking, like a charm.
        I believe they support SQL and there is a new version out that allows restoring to point in time as well.
        I would get a demo from them.
        There are many others out there too though that people here will have used so I would wait for a few more comments as I'm sure they are inbound!
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy! Double Take does look like something that we could use, ill will keep it in my arsenal! thanks

Comment

We use DoubleTake as well for our Exchange and SQL servers. It's a pretty robust product and has worked pretty flawlessly for us. I give it high marks.

Comment

Looking good so far for double take! Thanks

Comment

Web and application servers can be good candidates for virtualization-based DRP. I did a P2V conversion of some of my servers and stored their virtual clones on a remote server. In case of a crash, I start the respective VM.
                This process works, as I said, for specific roles ( web servers, print servers, gateways and such). When you talk database or any other kind of server that needs continuous update (logs and so on), than a point-in-time type of backup is not appropriate.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

just to name a few:
                  Doubletake
                  WansyncHA
                  NeverFail

I would call the developers of all three to get a quote, and then decide what is best for your particular set of servers
                  ________
                  HERBALAIRE REVIEWS
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:20.
                  Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                    just to name a few:
                    Doubletake
                    WansyncHA
                    NeverFail

I would call the developers of all three to get a quote, and then decide what is best for your particular set of servers
                    Will do, thanks.

Comment

Looks like on Double Take you have to purchase each license for the server and the failover server so if you want 1 server to do failover you have to purchase 2. Interesting, thats a nice 4G'S

Comment

True, DT is licensed per server so for every "function" you want to protect (Exchange, SQL, etc.) you'll need a pair of servers and therefore a pair of licenses. DT will generally offer some discount on purchases.

Comment

Yeah it is bloomin expensive. It is based on the server OS version though, from my understandin, so if you have 2003 Std you only need the Std version of DT.
                          I think they brought out something called Time/Data or similar which allows going back through time so to speak. Currently I haven't installed it yet but if it works then it gets rid of the one benefit of SCR. (excluding that it is free of course!)
                          cheers
                          Andy

Comment

Yeah, we want our failover done through WAN, for us we want the failover used for diaster reasons for the site and not the server itself.

Comment

Working...
                            X