assigning ip address via registery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assigning ip address via registery

Can we assign ip addresses to machine in registery. I am having duplicate ip address issue in my network. I checked the suspected machines but there ip addresses enteries are all right. I am wondering some one has entered in registery so I am not able to find out. Do any one here know how to check registery for ip addresses.
    Thanks

Re: assigning ip address via registery

I'd guess that you have something else on your network that's got a static IP, e.g. a game console, or a neighbor's using your wireless.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

no I do not have wireless.
      is it any way I can catch this device when it come to network ?

Comment

Find out what the clashing IP is (its number) and then add it in to an Exclusion in DHCP. This is a short term solution that should stop the clash and give you time to track down the offending device.
        Last edited by biggles77; 14th August 2008, 14:08. Reason: Trying for a bit of clarity.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Plus if you can see in your DHCP what the MAC address is you should be able to determine the manufacturer which may help a little.
          http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

DHCP server do not assign that ip address to any client. The Dhcp scope starts with numbers that do not collide with ip address asigned to that device. I checked DNS settings and all other stuff too. The device turn up at 9 or 3 am daily and create ip address conflict. I am trying to find that device but not able to

Comment

In that case it seems more likely someone has put it on, on purpose.
              Have you checked for second IP addresses on your machines plus maybe 2 NICs both setup on the LAN?
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

You did not say anything about what type of machine is involved in this problem (computer? server? another device, like a printer?), what OS it runs (if it has one) or what type of network are you running (switched?). Also, what network equipment are you using? What manufacturer?
                So, I will tell you what I would do in this situation.
                Two steps in the solution:
                1) find the MAC of the offending host;
                2) identify it based on the MAC.
                To find the MAC:
                - if you have a computer starting shouting about an IP conflict, you can always check it's Event log -> System for an event that its source is TCPIP and its EventID is 4199. In it you will find the MAC address of the host that causes the conflict. Using Andy's link, you can find your first clue about what are you dealing with (for instance, if it will start with 00-00, you'll know it's a Xerox).
                - if it's not a computer, than change the IP address of the known host to a temporary address. When the offending host appears, use ping [IP address] and then arp -a. In the list you get, you'll find the MAC address.
                Now, with the MAC in your hands, you can start chasing it down:
                - if you are lucky and you have a switched networked, you can use the switches' management tools. It is relatively easy, usually, to find to which switch and to which port it is connected.
                - if not, a lot of work is ahead of you. You can change the IP of the computer you know to a temporary address. Then, when the "felon" appears, you can use nslookup [IP address]. For this to work, you have to run on the known computer ipconfig /registerdns after you changed its address. Otherwise, you'll get a false result (you'll get the address of the know computer).

This is what I can say, without knowing exactly in what environment are we playing. Hope it helps, somehow...
                Last edited by sorinso; 15th August 2008, 18:34. Reason: typo

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

I found that it is a server that assign itself the ip address of other server. On the problematic server I checked all the interfaces but all them got static ip address. But for unknown reason that server able to register itself as another server's ip address.
                  I assigned ip addresses manually to problematic server and restart it. Let us see if this problem appear again.

Comment

Cool.
                    Good luck!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X