No announcement yet.

Good freeware servers monitoring soft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good freeware servers monitoring soft?

Anyone knows of any good freeware servers monitoring soft?

Re: Good freeware servers monitoring soft?

If you have scrolled down a bit in the misc forum you probably would find this topic:
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=25987
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yes, thanks I saw... but I wanted to look for more stuff as most of the topic stuff wasnt helpful or linux...

Comment

Ahhh that's something you didn't say.
        Maybe you should tell a bit more about your environment.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yes, you are right. hehe. I'm sorry.
          Well basicly its a LAN, it has no internet (for a reason), we have kinda 100 servers we wanna monitor, they are all Windows, we dont run any linux servers.

Also cant afford anything right now, so thats why I'm trying to look for some Freeware, or at least some edition I can at least monitor that amount of servers.

Comment

Who has 100 Windows based servers but can't afford monitoring software?

splunk.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mantrastic View Post
              Yes, thanks I saw... but I wanted to look for more stuff as most of the topic stuff wasnt helpful or linux...
              What's so wrong with running a Linux monitoring server? Not to be nosy, but what's the reason for stonewalling a Linux based solution? Nagios could be just what you're looking for...
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                Not to be nosy, but what's the reason for stonewalling a Linux based solution?
                Not to be nosy myself, but lack of expertise in working with Linux can be a very good reason. We started using Linux servers only six years ago, when you were able to employ a Linux guy. I myself have a minimal knowledge of Linux, not enough to be able to administrate a production machine.
                @Mantrastic : in the thread Dumber mentioned you'll find Spiceworks. It's free and Windows-based.
                Last edited by sorinso; 14th August 2008, 07:57. Reason: info added

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -
                «««««

Comment

hmm on the Spiceworks site it says u need account or such...
                  Correct me if im wrong but it looks like u have to have internet in order to use it?

Comment

hmm on the Spiceworks site it says u need account or such...
                    Correct me if im wrong but it looks like u have to have internet in order to use it?
                    The application is web based, but on your machine not theirs. The ads will require an internet connection, not sure how that will play out.

Its pretty clean install and uninstall so no harm in trying it. there is no agent for all the other machines, just (!) admin access.
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Well nevermind, thanks guys, but I admit I was dumb and stubborn, lol.
                      I simply installed linux vmware, and I got Nagios on it, its great.
                      Sorry for being a moron.

Comment

Well nevermind, thanks guys, but I admit I was dumb and stubborn, lol.
                        I simply installed linux vmware, and I got Nagios on it, its great.
                        Sorry for being a moron.
                        Yay! I should have also mentioned OpenNMS. Loads of stuff that it can do. As for the Linux box, Just make sure you pay attention to how you set it up, document everything (as you do for everything that you work on, right? ) and do some due diligence in securing it and all that. Maybe let us know how it matures in your organization.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Oh cool, I might try that too =) Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X