changing XP logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing XP logo

Dear allHow to change windows XP logo while loading OS (while pressing ctrl + alt+del at i want to change the background XP logo and i want to set my custom image of my companyis it possible, do i have to edit registry , how to do it for all the desktops from the Domain centrallyhelp me

Re: changing XP logo

You can hack the resource for this, which involves hacking into ntoskrnl.exe which I do not recommend as you can trash your XP by doing this! But there is a safer option which is to download a freeware application from WinCustomize called BootSkin from http://www.topdrawerdownloads.com/download/104610 and since it is freeware I don't mind giving the link to it here.

I do not know of a way to push this out for a lot of computers because I doubt that there is a GPO setting for this, but perhaps someone else knows of one.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

there is a registry key Click the Start button and select “Run” In the “open” field, type regedit and click ok In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP and double-click the string “wallpaper” Enter the full path and filename of the .bmp image that you want to use as background (the image must be in .bmp format) Click “ok” and close the registry editor

Comment

Originally posted by balajitry View Post
        there is a registry key Click the Start button and select “Run” In the “open” field, type regedit and click ok In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP and double-click the string “wallpaper” Enter the full path and filename of the .bmp image that you want to use as background (the image must be in .bmp format) Click “ok” and close the registry editor
        Doesn't this image have to have a specific dimension?
        Obviously 322 x 480 is not going to work (example only). Seem to remember something from many years back about this but too much CnH2n+1OH in my youth (long time ago) is preventing access to certain areas of the brain that is still working.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think that registry key balajitry suggested simply changes the wallpaper, whereas he wanted the XP logo at OS startup to change the image while loading the OS. And yes, for this circumstance, Biggles77 is correct to mention that it does have to be the correct number of pixels wide and high. If you're hacking ntoskrnl.exe then you will not be altering the size anyway, and if you use the helpful program in my post it will guide you.

Oh, and Biggles77, you sure remember the formula of what you drank way back then don't ya!
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

There was a confusion,
            "changing Windows XP logo while loading OS" or "Change the Logon Screen Wallpaper" are just two different things.

To change the Logon Screen Wallpaper, you'll basically just have to copy a few registry entries,
            - from ->
            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\...
            - to ->
            HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\...

The values to copy are:
            TileWallpaper, WallpaperStyle and Wallpaper

When you select an image as wallpaper for YOUR desktop by using gui, Windows will automatically adjust the image to the right format and size.
            (e.g. If you select a large JPG-file, the filename and path of that file will be listed in the registry value ConvertedWallpaper (if it needs be be converted). Windows will convert that file. The converted file will be, by default, created in your user profile path. The filename and path of the converted (or suitable) file will be listed in the value OriginalWallpaper. Windows can use the information of these two entries, when updating the wallpaper)
            The filename and path of the suitable (or converted) Wallpaper that is currently in use, is listed in the value Wallpaper. And that will be the file you are going to copy.

It is recommended to copy the converted/suitable image file it self to a new location outsite the profile path of the currently logged on user first.
            Copying the file to a new location, and then copying the Wallpaper configuration (pointing to the new file location) to the default.user settings can easily done by a batch:

Code:
            :: Batchname: LogonWallpaper.cmd
            :: Author: Remco Simons [NL] 2008
            ::
            :: ( http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=26572 )
            ::
            :: This batch copies the Current_User's Wallpaper configuration to the 
            :: Default_User settings. (The file it self will be copied too! and renamed)
            :: The wallpaper-image will then be used as background for the logon screen.

::note,
            :: Only users that have local administrators
            :: permissions can successfully use this batch !!

@echo off

Set "regSource=HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop"
            Set "regDest=HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop"
            Set "defaultWallpaperfolder=%windir%\web\wallpaper"

::expanding-environment-variables
            For /f "delims=" %%! in ('echo.%defaultWallpaperfolder%') Do (
            Set "defaultWallpaperfolder=%%!" )

::copy to Default.user key
            call:copyregvalue TileWallpaper
            call:copyregvalue WallpaperStyle
            call:copyWallpaper Wallpaper

:End -------------------------------------------------------------

Goto:EOF -Subroutine-
             :copyregvalue
             Set sValue=%1
             For /f "tokens=2,3* delims=    " %%a in (
              'Reg.exe query "%regSource%" /v "%sValue%"'
               ) Do (
               Reg.exe add "%regDest%" /v "%sValue%" /t %%a /d "%%b" /f
             )
            Goto:EOF -.-

Goto:EOF -Subroutine-
             :copyWallpaper
             Set sValue=%1
             for /f "tokens=2,3* delims=    " %%a in (
              'Reg.exe query "%regSource%" /v "%sValue%"'
               ) Do (
               xcopy.exe /q /y "%%b" "%defaultWallpaperfolder%\CompanyLogo.*"
               Reg.exe add "%regDest%" /v "%sValue%" /t %%a /d "%defaultWallpaperfolder%\CompanyLogo%%~xb" /f
             )
            Goto:EOF -.-
            \Rems

Related post: Randomly rotate users desktop wallpaper
            /
            Last edited by Rems; 20th December 2008, 10:16.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
            X