Windows Server 2003 - change collation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 - change collation

How do i change the collation on our server from Latin1_General_CS_AI to Latin1_General_CI_AI ?
    Is there a simple way to do this? and will the changes become global (on all the databases)
    Thanks

Re: Windows Server 2003 - change collation

I presume this is for SQL Server?
    If so, which version?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, it's Windows server 2003 with SQL Server 2005 on it.
      The collation on both the server operating system and sql server are set to Latin1_General_CS_AI and I need to reset it to Latin1_General_CI_AI.
      I know how it can be done on sql server 2005 (but even then, that will only apply to new objects), but I am not sure about windows server 2003, I think it's an option you get when first installing but can it be changed after?

Comment

I take it no one knows then?
        I hope it's not a complete install of Windows Server 2003 that's needed just to change the collation!

Comment

No idea but are you saying that Server 2003 has a option for Latin1_General_CS_AI and Latin1_General_CI_AI as well as SQL? Am I understanding that correctly?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Sorry about late re-opening...
            TO CHANGE GLOBAL SERVER COLLATION FOR SQL SERVER 2005:Change the Server Collation of SQL Server 2005You can do this by running the following command from the
            "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap" folder.
            Make sure the SQL Server 2005 original CD is available:
            start /wait setup.exe /qb INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER REINSTALL=SQL_Engine REBUILDDATABASE=1 SAPWD=test SQLCOLLATION=Latin1_General_CI_AS
            TO CHANGE TABLEs and FIELDs you can use ALTER DATABASE, ALTER TABLE... and so on:
            Last edited by Ossian; 25th August 2008, 18:35. Reason: punctuation & quoting

Comment

Much appreciated, XOK
              I've taken the liberty of changing the layout to make it more readable
              So, basically, its all in the SQL server setup....
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X