Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standard Imaging Software, Beside GHOST?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Imaging Software, Beside GHOST?!

Hi!

I Would like some information,
    About which Imaging solutions are most common (Besides Symantec/Norton Ghost And RIS)

I know, there`s a lot ... but what im after are the ones that are mostly used by you falks!

and what are the advantges of each?
    Thanks!

Re: Standard Imaging Software, Beside GHOST?!

Altiris
    is the one we use but these questions usually require more info from you.
    What is the budget, how often will it be used etc it is all relative.

You can look at VMware convertor too to get things into a VM.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well, names that spring to mind are:
      Ghost
      Drive Image Pro (now part of Symantec)
      Acronis (various products)

As asked, what are you trying to do -- image workstations? servers? for disaster recovery? for system builds?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you are after a Open source solution and have the advantage, time and patience to try it in a Lab environment, then why not have a look at FOG :http://www.fogproject.org/index.php?...tpage&Itemid=1.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

As another open source free option have a look at G4U. I've not used it myself but I've heard good things about it.
          This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

There's also Paragon.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the commets so far ... helpfull indeed!

i guess what im mostly looking for in imaging, is End-User stations imaging ...
              but a software that wont conflict with Hardware ...

any sugggestions?

Comment

Well, as long as you take the image from a SYSPREPped installation, then hardware won't be a huge issue (as long as the processor HAL is the same; i.e. if it's installed on a dual-cpu system it will have a dual-cpu capable HAL; if it's installed on a single-cpu system it won't) as the first boot of a new system after SYSPREP loads all the necessary drivers. You may have to ensure that all the OS drivers for proprietary devices on your various hardware platforms are available in the image.

So - in summary, if you SYSPREP then which imaging software you use isn't important.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                  Well, as long as you take the image from a SYSPREPped installation, then hardware won't be a huge issue (as long as the processor HAL is the same; i.e. if it's installed on a dual-cpu system it will have a dual-cpu capable HAL; if it's installed on a single-cpu system it won't) as the first boot of a new system after SYSPREP loads all the necessary drivers. You may have to ensure that all the OS drivers for proprietary devices on your various hardware platforms are available in the image.

So - in summary, if you SYSPREP then which imaging software you use isn't important.
                  I think the key point is the hardware has to be the same or as close as possible for a straight sysprep'd image to be installed successfully. We are a very mixed bag of manufacturers and models at our place so this would simply fail 90% of the time. For us, the solution came in the form of Universal Imaging Utility or UIU as it's called. This is written by the guys that did Ghost I think but basically runs you through a sysprep in a nice and easy fashion before shoehorning in their own drive database. Once you've imaged off, you can pretty much push the image onto any bit of kit going. When I was just learning to use it I managed to build a Win2K Pro image and push it only a brand new desktop, a 3 year old one from a different manufacturer and a couple of laptops all with no issues at all. Now, to me in my mixed shop, that is the best way to do things!

I do agree though that whatever you use to actually take the image is a much or a muchness really.
                  This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

I use Acronis True Image Echo 9.5 with universal restore. The universal restore bit is part of the bootable restore CD and acts abit like sysprep stripping out drivers after the image is restored. Seems to work very well and I've recently used it migrate two servers to completely different hardware relatively trouble free.

Acronis is also a great product for taking online snapshots/images.

Comment

Working...
                    X