Server room Heating up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server room Heating up

OK I have a server room that keeps getting too warm. I can't run AC to it. It has no outside windows near it. and I'm not sure what I can do to keep it cool.

Any suggestions?

Re: Server room Heating up

Turn off the servers

Seriously, without AC there is not much else you can do!
    Where (in the world) is the room, and what temp is it at?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's in the middle of a building. Surrounded by concrete walls that use to be outside walls - that's why we can't get AC to it.

It can push 85 and humid.

Have 3 servers. 3 routers. 1 Pix. 5 switches. 4 UPS'. Lots of heat.

Comment

Create a report and give it to your boss and make him start worrying about it. In the mean time you have to look at portable aircon and big fans I guess.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

looked at portable air con. - but I can't vent it anywhere.

Comment

put in wall mounted AC units and you'll only need to run the power and condensate through the wall not a huge duct.

or a few portable condensing type units would do as long as you remember to keep emptying the tanks on them.

Or just turn it all off and go home lol
            This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Most of the ones I find say to use the Window Exhaust Kit:

For example:
              http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9604533

Comment

Get a new server room. Server room w/o AC = KABOOM.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Get a portable AC, the kind on wheels, and run the exhaust up through the roof. You'll need to cut a hole, and put a vent cap.

If you have dropped ceiling cut a tile and pump it up into that space. Job done.
                  "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Just how big of a room are we talking about?
                    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

10x10....ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                        Get a new server room. Server room w/o AC = KABOOM.
                        I totally agree...
                        We have sever room with 10 servers, APC Symetra UPS, and one 96 port switch. We are using two AC 8kW each. A month ago one of the AC has compressor failure... it was "interesting"
                        We managed to get cool are from hall that was near server room and in that way managed to keep system temperature stable until the service replaced AC

Comment

Originally posted by hfctpl View Post
                          10x10....ish.
                          Is that feet or metres? How much hardware do you have in there? And how old is the bulk of it? Newer stuff, especially blades, will be cheaper to cool than big, old stuff.

Tom
                          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

p.s.
                            Originally posted by graycat
                            or a few portable condensing type units would do as long as you remember to keep emptying the tanks on them.
                            This is excellent information. These are available online - you might want to consider an automated solution for getting rid of the water though - otherwise emptying might be a bit of a never ending task!

If you can keep humidity down in that room relatively easily, then emptying them will be less of a concern - however don't stay in the room too long as low humidity can cause real problems with throats and noses.

Tom
                            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by alien_ri View Post
                              I totally agree...
                              We have sever room with 10 servers, APC Symetra UPS, and one 96 port switch. We are using two AC 8kW each. A month ago one of the AC has compressor failure... it was "interesting"
                              We managed to get cool are from hall that was near server room and in that way managed to keep system temperature stable until the service replaced AC
                              lol I had an AC unit fail in a dramatic way on early sunday morning and become a power washer .... all over a half height rack! now that was fun to recover from, I can tell you. especially as the environmental monitor system was reporting it as an "under temperature" lol

my advice to the OP is that if you can route any kind of ducting in, either through walls, ceiling or floor, then mount some AC unit externally and duct the cold air in. If you've got sold external walls, you'll be surprised how easy it is to get a whole put in them. If ducting is out of the equation, mount some units in the room and run a few lines for condensate and power. if that still isn't possible, go with condensing portable units .... and if that's still not possible .... move the darn servers!! lol

oh, and make sure you size the units so that you have run and standby with enough power to cool the room on just one incase of failure.
                              This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Working...
                              X