UPS Question or Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS Question or Ideas

Okay, im trying to plan here and not sure where to start on the the UPS's, we will have 12 servers with 3 power supplies a piece at 370W. I was wanting to get some UPS's but not sure exactly what to go for, just trying to see what others have in there server room as well.
    What do I know, I am only 26.

Re: UPS Question or Ideas

How much amperage does each power supply draw?
    Are all three power supplies active?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      How much amperage does each power supply draw?
      Are all three power supplies active?
      Dont have an AMP meter so not sure, I got one o the power supplies out, and the PSU's are all plugged in and on but it looks like that the server may be only using one PSU and the others of course for backup reasons. I got thrown in this BS project and never was an electrician! lol

Comment

Either the server or the power supply specs should list the amperage draw of the power supply. You can use this info to calculate the proper size UPS units for your servers. Also, check the server manufacturers web site for electrical specs of the servers.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Either the server or the power supply specs should list the amperage draw of the power supply. You can use this info to calculate the proper size UPS units for your servers. Also, check the server manufacturers web site for electrical specs of the servers.
          I got a PSU unit out on one of the servers.

INPUT AC100 - 240V 7A

OUTPUT
          +12V 27A
          +5V 20A
          +3.4VSB 4A
          +5VSB 2A
          -12V .6A

Total POWER ON is +3.4VSB & +5VSB IS 16W MAX

Thanks Joe for the help!

Comment

what servers are those?

if dell, use http://dell.com/calc
            ________
            Chevrolet Triax Specifications
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:14.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
              what servers are those?

if dell, use http://dell.com/calc
              10 IBM
              2 DELL

I did see that link before its nice!

Comment

If links are we talking about, than place a bookmark on the following page too: http://www.apcc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm . Click on Configure by Devices -> Server . The application will guide into using it. By describing your environment (types and number of servers, types and quantity of additional equipment, the amount of time you want the UPS to hold and future expansion coefficient), it will give you three solutions: best price, value and performance).
                Notes:
                1) the info is informative. By using other manufacturer's appliances, you will get different performances. I myself use only APC's SmartUPS appliances for the server room.
                2) take in consideration environmental issues: I have been told, during the planning of our new servers' room, that batteries emit hydrogen and create a electromagnetic field around them. By using a large quantity of small appliances (if we're talking APC, then ranging from 450VA to 3000VA), then these factors should be taken in consideration. I have such a quantity (some 30 of them) and when we measured the electromagnetic fields created, they were pretty disturbing. Not enough to do immediate damage, but in long-time exposure, you can never know ... From the gases point of view there was no concern, since the room is well ventilated.

I hope this info will help.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  If links are we talking about, than place a bookmark on the following page too: http://www.apcc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm . Click on Configure by Devices -> Server . The application will guide into using it. By describing your environment (types and number of servers, types and quantity of additional equipment, the amount of time you want the UPS to hold and future expansion coefficient), it will give you three solutions: best price, value and performance).
                  Notes:
                  1) the info is informative. By using other manufacturer's appliances, you will get different performances. I myself use only APC's SmartUPS appliances for the server room.
                  2) take in consideration environmental issues: I have been told, during the planning of our new servers' room, that batteries emit hydrogen and create a electromagnetic field around them. By using a large quantity of small appliances (if we're talking APC, then ranging from 450VA to 3000VA), then these factors should be taken in consideration. I have such a quantity (some 30 of them) and when we measured the electromagnetic fields created, they were pretty disturbing. Not enough to do immediate damage, but in long-time exposure, you can never know ... From the gases point of view there was no concern, since the room is well ventilated.

I hope this info will help.

Good luck.
                  Yeah that site is really good. This is a big pain in the arse, and just trying to get it all setup and I already know its going to get worse! thanks for the help!

Comment

Cool.
                    Another thing to remember: never connect the different PSes of a server to the same UPS. In your case, if you have three of them, look at manufacturer's specifications regarding which of them is the redundant. If you can, connect each of them to a different source.
                    (I had a guy at work that followed my advice to buy a redundant PS for a server and then came to me that my solution did not work. His server crashed when the UPS went dead... It took me 5 minutes to realize that he used only one UPS, and connected both PSes to it ...)
                    If you feel this is too big for you, I would suggest getting professional advice. I myself never thought my UPSes can be a health hazard...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

another very important part of the planning is the expected temperature. most servers have heat sensors that will trigger speedups of the fans in the PSUs, in order to cool the server down more or less. every degree matters there, because under different temperatures, the servers consume different amounts of power
                      ________
                      CHEVROLET SS
                      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:14.
                      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Absolutely. All this issue, is, after all, like an iceberg. The quantity and power of the UPSes is only the tip of it. This is why a counseling company should be part of the planning.
                        During the planning of our room I saw a study that show that the cooling fans of the racks are usually overseen in counting the amount of power and cooling the room needs, and the level of noise it produces. In one large room, with tens of racks, the cooling fans reached almost 25% of the power consumption.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Yeah, the cooling will be no problem, im just wanting to make sure we get enough power through the UPS, I did go through the APC website and config what I have it only recommend 1 8000VA. Wich I thought was interesting whereis that is 6.4KW. I even made sure that it had 3 PSU on the PSU line and it only showed with 10 server like 5KW, im guessing its only taking the 1 PSU from the 3 redundent.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantThomas View Post
                            I got a PSU unit out on one of the servers:

INPUT AC 100-240V / 7A
                            The formula for each device = (P = U * I)
                            Then, add all the results up for the devices you want to connect to the same UPS.
                            (including monitors, routers e.d)

P = Watt (W or VA)
                            U = Volt (V)
                            I = Ampere (A)
                            VA = Voltage*Amperage (power)
                            AC = alternating current (as opposed to direct current)

The voltage is the Voltage on location (!).

lets assume the Voltage in your country is 230 V
                            Then, for just one of your servers the maximum power consumption would be:
                            230V * 7A = 1610 VA
                            (in real life this probably will be a bit lower)

\Rems
                            Last edited by Rems; 25th July 2008, 20:13.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks for the formula, I just found that we have 2 8KW UPS'S in the old server room, wish they would have told me that, that will solve all our problems!

Comment

Working...
                              X