Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compaq Vs Normal PSUís?

Hi,

I have a Compaq PSU (specifically a WTX460-3505, 189643-001, 202348-001) that someone gave me Ö although itís a few years old it has a 24pin power connector much like the newer (socket 775) systems use but, being Compaq (and a law unto themselves) all the leads going into that connector are completely different colours from standard.

From experience I know that Compaq USED to wire their PSU connectors up differently and the colours on the leads suggest they still are but I was rather under the impression that Compaqís and HPís and so used fairly standard mainboards these days so I would presume that means a standard PSU power out.

My problem, of course, is how to find out Ö time was when I would simply switch one on and measure the voltage directly but todayís PSUís donít have switches as such so I donít know how to force one on so I can measure its outputs. So does anyone have any idea whether these things are standard PSUís or not?

Thanks

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Compaq Vs Normal PSU’s?

Check their website and manual. Nowadays they'll tell you the pinout.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Compaq Vs Normal PSUís?

I would play safe and throw it away or save it specifically for a Compaq machine. HP used to have customised wiring on some of their PCs so you had to have an HP power supply for the PC to work and their PSU were not cheap. Consider; 1.44MB FDD costs about $15. Same 1.44MB FDD from HP for a server, $160!

But I digress. Considering the cost of a new PSU, save yourself some potential grief of having your motherboard cooked by some possible reversed wiring and buy a new one.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Compaq Vs Normal PSUís?

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        But I digress. Considering the cost of a new PSU, save yourself some potential grief of having your motherboard cooked by some possible reversed wiring and buy a new one.
        I think you're right ... I will order one a bit later (it's fairly early here).

One link I have found was (http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod) and I must admit I'm curious to know whether HP/Compaq are still up to the tricks you mention so I might still have a go ... OTOH what they did then (the PSU has to be at least 5 years old) is not necessarily what they do now so maybe not.

Thanks

Kyu
        J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
        The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
        X