Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX Records & A Records

Hi,

Does anyone have a simple explination as to what an MX record and an A record is? And when we would use these?

Just a bit stuck and confused.

Cheers

Re: MX Records & A Records

This maybe?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record

Bear with me on this bit though..
    Every device on a network has to be (for all intents and purposes) unique so we assign them unique numbers called IP addresses. For us to look at another device from ours we have to type in its unique number (like 11.12.13.14) . Humans can be a bit dim sometimes and we forget these numbers so systems were developed to change the numbers into names (like joebloggs.domain.com). One of these systems was called DNS. Part of that system was A records which are basically just numbers to names in a file (something like "joebloggs.domain.com = 11.12.13.14").

An MX record is a mail exchange record that is another type of record within DNS that points anybody looking to send email to a particular domain ( i.e. domain.com) to the correct server for it. Generally (always?) rather than sending to a specific IP address you send it to an A record instead that then "points" it to the correct IP address and therefore the correct server.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for that dude. Made it a little clear to me, just a little confused of when i would implement that into an organisation.

But oh well, im sure i will get there.

Cheers

Comment

No worries.
        It is (usually) always done at your ISP when you purchase a domain and want to use email with that domain name. Nothing needs to (generally) be done internally apart from allowing SMTP traffic inbound.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X