No announcement yet.

Software for account creation (2003 AD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software for account creation (2003 AD)

The execs would like our helpdesk to start creating network and email accounts. Currently they are using the ADUC but this is too confusing to them. We're looking for a third party app that will allow for a pretty gui where they can create accounts.

Any suggestions?

Re: Software for account creation (2003 AD)

You can try ADManager from AdvantNet (ManageEngine).

Comment

Originally posted by cmj0002
      Currently they are using the ADUC but this is too confusing to them
      This is a joke, isn't it?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by cmj0002 View Post
        The execs would like our helpdesk to start creating network and email accounts. Currently they are using the ADUC but this is too confusing to them. We're looking for a third party app that will allow for a pretty gui where they can create accounts.

Any suggestions?
        What is confusing about it???

Its the easiest tool i've ever used for creating accounts.

Comment

I'll add my stick to the fire: ADUC should be the tool. If your helpdesk team find it confusing, then the right step is to train them. After all, you have few text fields to fill, two Next buttons and a Finish one...
          Last edited by sorinso; 3rd July 2008, 06:11.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

You can create a smaller version of the ADUC MMC that starts in a particular OU as well so they don't see all the other "confusing" OUs if you want too.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I haven't replied up to now because I could not quite believe what I was reading. Just for the record, I'm with Sorin.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

While I respect the opinions of Stonelaughter, Wullieb1, Biggles77, AndyJG247, and Sorinso, I have to disagree with them. There are many third party utilities that are perfectly acceptable substitutions for ADUC. Furthermore, not all of us have the same skill levels and when we were starting our IT careers on the helpdesk the ADUC might have been a confusing tool for us as well. (I'm assuming the helpdesk personnel referenced in this post are relatively new and "green"). If it helps you manage them and reduces your risk for an "oops, I deleted the CEO's user account by mistake" incident then I say go forth and find a tool that suits your needs and helps you sleep easier at night.

Comment

I like these discussions!
                  The OP wanted rights specifically just to create new accounts so a specific connection straight to the "creation" OU with a template account which they would only need to copy (or create new) and then fill in details with next/finish for example. No rights would be given to them to delete or mod existing stuff so no accidental deletions. That's my impression anyway.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                    The OP wanted rights
                    Rights?
                    I don't see the word "rights" in the OP's message...
                    I think it is time for this thread to be stalled a bit, until the OP will respond to the posts so far ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by cmj0002 View Post

Any suggestions?
                      Since I started this thread in the direction, I shall attempt to put it back on topic.

Train the helpdesk to use the tool Microsoft created for adding new users. If you purchase a third party tool they will still have to be trained to use it. If they are unable to use ADUC then they should be reasigned to something more suitable to their talents.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        If they are unable to use ADUC then they should be reasigned to something more suitable to their talents.
                        comments deleted.
                        Last edited by biggles77; 5th July 2008, 15:08. Reason: Removed off topic comments.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

They are trained on, what seems to be, a weekly bases to use ADUC. I've become more of a trainer/babysitter than an admin. I created a taskpad, too, but that was too confusing. The powers-that-be speak of pretty gui applications to facilitate this ("we had it at my old company"), but I have yet to find anything relevant. We created generic templates but that, too, seems to be complex.

I believe the ADUC is the way to go (with delegation) but I still have the onerous task of proving that the pretty gui (whatever that may be) is not a viable alternative.

Our company is run by the needs of the help desk. So, no joke. Though in the Karma of life, I personally believe it is.

Comment

I hate when someone (most often not in the IT department) says "we had this at my old company", insinuating that you are somehow deficient in your skills or in performing your job. My answer to them is "well feel free to go back to your old job because that's not the way we do it here".

Comment

Working...
                            X