The local policy of this system does not allow you to log on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The local policy of this system does not allow you to log on

hello everybody. this may seem like a no brainer, since there are good articles on petri about this kind of problem, but i think this one differs slightly.

background info (may or may not be useful):
    OS = XP home edition sp2(both systems)
    HDD(working) = seagate 160gb
    HDD(faulty) = Maxtor 40gb

the story so far:
    a hdd wouldnt boot. i suspected it was because of a corrupt boot record. to fix this i slaved it to a working machine and ran scandisk on the faulty drive. i then tried to boot from that drive and all seemed well (booted in safe mode), but whenever i try to enter my user password i get the message box:
    "The local policy of this system does not allow you to log on interactively".

i dont know the admins password (and neither does the owner), but leaving the password field empty takes me to the message box. the users password and account do the same.

i really really dont want to reinstall windows, so any other methods of fixing this would be most welcome.

thanks for reading!

EDIT: the windows recovery CD is nowhere to be found!

Boot off the XP CD and proceed to the Recovery Console. type FIXBOOT at the console prompt and see if that sorts it out.

Post back if this doesn't work.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

excellent advice biggles

i fogot to mention that the recovery CD has gone AWOL. the owner of the computer can't find it, and bought the computer second hand, so isn't even sure if he ever had it. i'lledit my first post to let everyone know.

Comment

Working...
      X