Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Home Server (mail)

Hi

Is it possible to "hack" Windows Home Server by putting Exchange on there?

I know you can set up a DCPROMO (but you not ment to)

Thanks

Andy

Re: Windows Home Server (mail)

Andy,

Windows Home server is not designed for this. You might be able to do it but please make sure you check the EULA before proceeding.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the respone

I will check EULA

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
        Andy,

Windows Home server is not designed for this. You might be able to do it but please make sure you check the EULA before proceeding.

Michael
        In a lot of country's (majority of the EU) an EULA has absolutly no legal basis to prohibited these kinds of 'hacks'.

The worst thing that could happen is that you will get no support from MS for home server or exchangeserver.

Comment

The EULA does have meaning on this site and if anything is mentioned here that violates the EULA it shall be actioned immediately with the offending member being sanctioned and the post being edited as well.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Given the price of MS Exchange, the extra cost of a proper server OS should not break the bank.

If this is for evaluation purposes, buy Technet Plus and get the correct software (for non-operational use only) for a very low price.

As already stated, we do not condone any illegal activities / breach of license agreeements on this site.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              The EULA does have meaning on this site and if anything is mentioned here that violates the EULA it shall be actioned immediately with the offending member being sanctioned and the post being edited as well.
              I understand that, but for example in the Netherlands an EULA putting these kind of restrictions on the user are simply illigal by law.

It is estimated that 90% off the EULA's would not stand up in an court as they contain passage's that are simply not allowed by law.

But if you want to uphold the EULA, be my guest, if have no problem with that, i'm merely pointing out that most EULA's have no legal base what so ever so it is not an crime to break them (in most country's that is)

This goes even further in the Netherlands, if an EULA is not made availeble to the consumer before he/she buys the software the the EULA is illegal regardless what the EULA contains, so if i buy an pre installed home server and the shop does not provide me the EULA on paper so i can read it before i actually pay for the thing than the EULA is an worthless piece of paper and therefore it would be legal to 'hack' the homeserver in any way i see fit.
              Last edited by RonaldM; 14th June 2008, 10:31.

Comment

Hi Ronald,
                I'm not that sure about it. AFAIK the EULA does apply in the Netherlands even in court.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
                  if you want to uphold the EULA, be my guest
                  This is one of the basic axioms in this forum: we are NOT breaking the rules! No user here will assist other to find ways to break the EULA, or licensing rules or any other thing that might be considered as unprofessional and/or unethical. Whoever will do that, disciplinary steps will be taken against him.
                  And it is of no relevance if Microsoft's EULA will hold in Netherlands' court or not ...
                  Last edited by sorinso; 14th June 2008, 20:16. Reason: rephrasing ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                    Hi Ronald,
                    I'm not that sure about it. AFAIK the EULA does apply in the Netherlands even in court.
                    Only if the EULA is made availeble before the buy and it does not contain any passages that restrict consumer rights (and they are very broad as you will know)

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      This is one of the basic axioms in this forum: we are NOT breaking the rules! No user here will assist other to find ways to break the EULA, or licensing rules or any other thing that might be considered as unprofessional and/or unethical. Whoever will do that, disciplinary steps will be taken against him.
                      And it is of no relevance if Microsoft's EULA will hold in Netherlands' court or not ...
                      Like i said, be my guest, but in my view breaking the EULA is neither unprofessional nor is it unethical but that's my opinion because the EULA states

8. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement.
                      So even the EULA says you may do certain things to the software if local law allows it, we don't know which country AndySullman resides and if his modification is legal by local law, if so then his question is an valid question in my opinion.

Comment

Only if the EULA is made availeble before the buy and it does not contain any passages that restrict consumer rights (and they are very broad as you will know)
                        The internet has the EULA somewhere on it I'd guess

Either way, this discussion is over. The staff here has made it clear that regardless of what country you are in, violating the EULA is not allowed here, regardless of the laws in your country. As a community, we do not allow it here. Feel free to discuss how to violate the EULA somewhere else on the internet, but not here.

andysullman: WHY do you want to run a mail server on Windows Home Server? If we knew the reason maybe we could suggest a different way to do it (e.g. GMail or Live mail for domains).
                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I know a chap who runs a shareware mail server on his Windows XP box... is that in violation of the EULA?

Tom
                          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Like i said, be my guest, but in my view breaking the EULA is neither unprofessional nor is it unethical but that's my opinion because the EULA states

So even the EULA says you may do certain things to the software if local law allows it, we don't know which country AndySullman resides and if his modification is legal by local law, if so then his question is an valid question in my opinion.
                            I don't give a shit about your views on the validity of the EULA. I do care about this site and its rules and the EULA is a valid and legal agreement between the purchaser and the manufacturer.

This thread has gone way and in my opinion andysullman's thread has been hijacked.

One more mention of breaking/hacking/violating an EULA and we will be one member less.

If andysullman wishes to add a comment or question about his original question fine. Any other comments not on the original topic shall be deleted and an infraction placed on the poster.

If you want to debate the EULA, start a topic in the Lounge.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                            X