No announcement yet.

Chipset Fan Problem on A8n5x Mobo

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipset Fan Problem on A8n5x Mobo

Problem: When I turn on my computer sometime my chipset fan sometimes does not start, or doesn't fast enough, and during POST the mobo thinks the chipset fan is not working a gives me an error message. I can bypass this error message by pressing F1 and continue to load windows, however, the problem with this is that is resets all my BIOS settings.

I have custom built computer:
    Motherboard: ASUS A8n5X
    CPU: Athlon 64 Winchester

What I've tried so far:
    I booted the computer with the case open to see what was going on with the chipset fan. The fan did not start but I gave it a push and it started. It seems that the fan is either old, not lubricated enough, or the mobo is late in sending it a signal to start during POST.

How do i fix this problem?
    The fan seems firmly secured on the mobo and I don't see any screws that would allow me to replace it.

By the way, what does the chipset fan cool? It so small (the diameter is a bit bigger than that of a U.S. quarter). Is it that important?

Re: Chipset Fan Problem on A8n5x Mobo

Chipset is a collection of circuts on the mobo than need to cool.
    The problem was that my chipset needed to be small so it would fit the PCI-E viedocard that sits right above it preventing a big chipset.

ordered a small chipset (small depth)