Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a new PC. Which CPU?

Hi Guys,

Im gonna be buying a new custom built PC soon, and I was wondering which would be better? dual or quad core? I intend to use this computer for gaming.

Im asking because I know when the quad core came out, it made hardly any difference to performance compared to a dual core cause of software/games not fully utilising all cores. What about now?

Any advice?

Re: Looking to buy a new PC. Which CPU?

Most games don't even see an advantage for 2 cores, usually it is just the OS using the second core so less interruption. Having said that things move on quickly. Personally I would see how much you want to spend and then look at reviews of the CPUs you can afford. I think I would go for a dual over a quad if there was enough speed difference, but that is only personal opinion.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

If it is going to be a gaming machine then you are asking the wrong question. The question should be what is the best video card to get?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I would go for a Mac
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          If it is going to be a gaming machine then you are asking the wrong question. The question should be what is the best video card to get?
          CPU's just as important, however knowing if you're going to go SLI or Crossfire does limit the CPU platform pretty much.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well I am going for Nvidia SLI. Not straight away, but it would be an option in the future.

SO what CPUs am I limited to then?

Comment

Not limited really, but AMD does own ATI now...
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                Not limited really, but AMD does own ATI now...
                Good point wired . Still stuck on what to buy....From what I've seen, comparable quad cores are clocked lower then there dual core equivelents due to heat etc. But then theres 4 of them.

Was just wondering if the trade off iss better for gaming.

Comment

Andy has stated above that there are very few games that take advantage of a dual core. A quad core for gaming will not be fully utilised and you would be better taking the price difference between a quad an dual core and putting towards a dedicated gaming video adapter.

By the way, a quad core with 4GB RAM runs XP (with apps) really, really fast!!!
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well I already have the Geforce 9800GTX in mind. I'll upgrading this as soon as the new Nvidia card with 10.1 DX support is released leter this year.

Quad core looks good, and even though its not fully utilizied, might just get to make my machine more future proof .

(As you probably notice by now, Money ain't an issue here lol)

Comment

Well if money ain't no object, then Mr Wired wiesly suggested SLI, why not plonk a couple of them in. That might futureproof it for the at least 2 months after it has been purchased.

Let us know the final config/specs.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm gonna wait till the new Nvidia DX 10.1 card is out later this year before I go SLI. In the meantime, Im sticking with the 9800GTX.

I just bought my mobo (ASUS Striker Extreme II Ultra) though cause it was the last in stock and nowhere else in HK is selling them!!

Comment

about future proof

if you go for intel CPU you will get a 775 socket cpu... and in the near future 775 socket will be replaced by the new NEHALIM socket...

and no you can't put the old cpu in the new NEHALIM motherboard... they are not compatible

for today if you play games you have 2 good options

first option...
                          if you have the money $$$ and money is not and issue then get a quad extreme edition...
                          they are the only quads with very high clock speed per core... and games like high clock's...

example the q6600 has 2.6 GHZ per core... thats not much

also most games today (99%) are not build for quads...

second option...
                          much cheaper
                          get the E8400 or the E8500
                          the E8500 has 2 very strong cores with 3.16 GHZ and is 45 nanometer technologies and is a beast

about graphic cards

don't speculate... today you can find in the internet very good benchmarks...

look here for example:

Desktop VGA Charts
                          http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...score,538.html

Dual & Quad VGA Charts 2008
                          http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...score,494.html

i hope this helps you a little...

Yaniv
                          MCSE 2000 Done
                          RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                          X