X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good duplicate file finder

Hello All!

I'm in the market for a good duplicate file finder. Actually, it would also be nice if it had the ability to find similar files. Any other likewise goodies would be nice too. I'd like to know what applications that you use to manage your file servers / SANs / NASs etc.

I've spent some time searching around and have found a rather large array of hacks and kludges. I'd like something a bit more polished and full featured. I'm looking for a single server instance for a small organization, but it would also be interesting to hear from you folks what you use for much larger enterprises.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Does anyone have experience with any of these apps or something better?

Thanks!
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Looking for good duplicate file finder

Take a look at beyondcompare...
    Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat

Comment

I recommend Directory Report
      http://www.file-utilities.com/downloads/wdir.zip

It can find duplicate files based on the same name, size, CRC and/or comparing byte by byte

Duplicate files can be:
      deleted to the recycle bin
      deleted permanenttly
      create a hard link

You can compare and synchronize any two directories

It is simple to use since it looks just like the MS Explorer - PLUS
      It shows the size of each directory (Plus the size of all its subdirectories)
      As you open each folder - it shows its subdirectories and their size
      This quickly shows you where all your disk space has gone

Comment

Thanks for the tip Allan. I ended up purchasing Duplicate File Detective. It's not bad.

What I really want from a duplicate file finder (or any kind of file management utility) is an uber-powerful regular expression parser. "Show me all duplicates on the C drive. Then show me all dupes that are not in this folder, that have a file name like FR??.JP*. Move only files that are between this size range..." etc. etc.

Some of the duplicate file finders out there allow you to export your duplicate search to an XML file or even a SQL based RDBMS. Maybe I could have something together with grep and perl. But it would be so much nicer if someone who actually knew what they were doing could do it for me. =)
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

You could try this duplicate file finder
          Clone Tools works with folders containing duplicate files rather than the duplicate files themself. Kind of like a mixture between beyond compare that SaMaLaKo recomended and regular duplicate file finders.
          Here is a short demo video:
          remove duplicate files

Comment

Originally posted by Krippe View Post
            You could try this duplicate file finder
            Clone Tools works with folders containing duplicate files rather than the duplicate files themself. Kind of like a mixture between beyond compare that SaMaLaKo recomended and regular duplicate file finders.
            Here is a short demo video:
            remove duplicate files
            Someone needs to SEO that web site, because I searched the 'net up one side and down the other and never came across that tool. Ah well, If I can remember, I'll give it a try the next time I need to purchase a duplicate file finder.

Thanks,
            Last edited by Nonapeptide; 16th July 2008, 16:54. Reason: Spelling
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

My needs may be a little less than yours. I use CompareIt! and SynchronizeIt! but I'm really trying to accomplish VSS (Visual Source Safe) and remote vs. local sync operations. Both are from Grisoft (one of my favs):

http://www.grigsoft.com/
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                Both are from Grisoft (one of my favs):
                Missed a 'g' in there somewhere. My first response was "Grisoft must be diversifying..."

Appropriately enough, there was a well placed add on this page as I looked at your post. It was for something called "No Clone". I just thought I'd contribute that name to the thread since I'll probably come back to it when I need to find another dupe finder.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

To add more meat to this thread, here's another application that can find duplicate files. It's called FlexTK by Flexsense. I learned about it through the 4sysops blog. You can read the blog entry here which gives a nice overview of the application's use. The tool is much, much more than a duplicate file finder. It has advanced file system management capabilities that can ostensibly simplify an admin's job.

Just another tool in the chest.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                  X