Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underclocking My Motherboard

Hi,

I have an ASUS P5ND2-Sli motherboard with a 3.4GHz CPU (with Themaltake copper based fan) in it. My problem is that whenever I start running high CPU activity games on it (and I'm only talking things like the open source tank game BZFlag, I don't really play many games) and even occasionally during normal surfing and so on, the system will often shut down.

Running the ASUS Probe utility I can see my CPU temperature runs on average at about 60 degrees rising to 70 degrees in normal operation. CPU speed, these days at least, isn't that big a deal to me so it occurred to me that if I can overclock a system I ought to be able to underclock it which will effectively run the CPU slower and at a lower temperature I believe but a brief look at the BIOS revealed no easy way to do this so I wondered if anyone knew of any other easy (BIOS related ways preferably but suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong on my hardware would also be welcome) I can reduce the CPU temperature and thus stop the shutdowns?

Any help appreciated.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Underclocking My Motherboard

You would be better finding out why there is a problem.
    Can you check the paste between the CPU and fan to start with.
    Check for dust etc too.
    What spec PSU do you have and graphics card, is it capable when the card runs full pelt?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      You would be better finding out why there is a problem.
      Can you check the paste between the CPU and fan to start with.
      Check for dust etc too.
      OK

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      What spec PSU do you have and graphics card, is it capable when the card runs full pelt?
      PSU: AKASA Paxpower PSU 650W
      CPU: P4 650 (3.4GHz - 2MB), Socket T (775), 1.4V (1.2V~1.4V) 1.55V 78A 84W W 63.6 C
      VIDEO: GECUBE RADEON X800GTO PCIe, GDDR3, 256MB Edition

Kyu

Comment

Fix the problem rather than underclock it. CPU temp should not be that high.

Check the bracket that holds the heatsink on the CPU. I have had 2 of these break and didn't spot the first until I physically pulled the machine apart (removed the motherboard). Once the heatsink loses contact with the CPU, it gets hot real quick when put under load.

Also make sure you have a heat dispertion paste like Artic Silver between the heatsink base and CPU. In my case it lowered the CPU temp by 12C.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Running my system on its side (flat on the floor) I recorded a temperature of 81 degrees!!!

So I cleaned and tested and all that stuff and eventually removed the Thermaltake fan to discover that one of the plastic (polypropylene?) clips had broken which presumably meant the fan was not held tightly enough to the board ... so that blew that. I presume those are the brackets you mention?

Fortunately I still had my unused Intel fan which I was able to securely attach and, though a little noisier, worked fine ... after a bit of testing I was able to get my system up & running and the temperature during normal operation (even with the side back on) is about 38 degrees.

So thanks for the advice ... it was very helpful

Kyu

Comment

Yep, them is the clips/bracket/whatever I was refering to. Hard to spot a broken one when it is all assembled in the case isn't it.

Glad you got is back to a normal temp. I would suggest taking the broken bracket back to where you puchased it from and asking for another one. Plastic in that situation is such a stupid idea.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X