Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade server brainstorming

Hi, guys.
    I am planning a big project, that will bring me to buy 6 to 7 servers. I am thinking of use the oportunity and buy my first blade servers. I have a consulting company that assists me, but I would like to hear from you if there are things I should pay attention too, things that you think I should know and take in consideration.
    I preffer HP servers, so any specific thoughts will be more than welcome.

TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Re: Blade server brainstorming

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
    Hi, guys.
    I am planning a big project, that will bring me to buy 6 to 7 servers. I am thinking of use the oportunity and buy my first blade servers. I have a consulting company that assists me, but I would like to hear from you if there are things I should pay attention too, things that you think I should know and take in consideration.
    I preffer HP servers, so any specific thoughts will be more than welcome.

TIA.
    First and most important to consider is that if you really need blade servers, i.o.w. do you want to safe on space and powerconsumption, otherwise there is no need to go for bladeserver's

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
      do you want to safe on space and powerconsumption
      Don't we all need both?
      And it's not only that ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi Sorinso,

I would also go for HP, simply because the company I work for is an HP preferred partner

I didn't perform a project like that yet, so I'm sorry I can't give you info based on personal experience. But these things come to my mind:

Make sure you are able to provide the correct three fase power supply connectors, the single phase connectors are not that interesting because there are higher currents flowing through the power cables when using the single phase config. So make sure your Electrical network is set up to provide those high currents when you are bound to the single phase config option.

Make sure you have enough cooling power left to keep things cool in the serverroom. I have known customers who are having problems to keep the blades cool due to the high density of the blades .
        I dont think this will be a problem with 10 blades, but you never know if the future brings more blades...

Check which projects are in the pipeline before choosing the blade enclosure.
        the HP C3000 Enclosure can fit up to 8 half height blades (6U or tower model)
        the HP C7000 Enclosure can fit up to 16 half height blades (10U)

This is more commercial, but checkout:

Why blades?
        http://h10068.www1.hp.com/blogpost/P..._WhyBlades.mp3

http://bladewebinar.com/

And if you didn't found this one yet
        Blade server shootout: Dell vs. HP vs. Sun

Hope this helps...
        Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat

Comment

I'm well familiar with the Dell blades, so feel free to ask specific questions, if you have any
          ________
          Toyota Sa History
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:55.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

@DYasny: I'd be glad to hear from your experience. The good things, the bad things. Things you think I need to know when considering blades as a solution.

@SaMaLaKo: thanks for the stuff.
            Cool signature !! Can I steal it ?
            Last edited by sorinso; 2nd June 2008, 13:29. Reason: typos

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

No problem, 'borrowed' it myself...
              Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat

Comment

well, basically blades are always modular, so extra NICs/HBAs, HDD config, power consumption and noise are not relevant. but the basic blade is normally a small server with very little storage (2x SAS HDD)
                it has to be racked of course, and the rack (as well as the floor) should be able to support some serious (hundreds of kgs) weight.
                two of the main Dell blades are the PE1855/1955 blade and the new m1000 blade.
                the former is a 7U chassis that can host up to 10 blades - PE1855 or PE1955, or a mix (though I doubt you can buy PE1855 nowadays)
                the blades have a simple SAS raid controller capable of raid0/1, fakeraid of course. 2x CPUs, and 8 memory slots.
                the new blade chassis is 10U and can hold up to 16 blades, which are smaller and much more versatile.

in the back there are redundant hotswappable PSUs, and optional modules - Fibre switches, RJ45 passthrough modules or switches etc.

basically if you keep the hardware up to date, and keep it monitored, the blades tend to hold on for much longer than servers, since most components are redundant, and the repairs usually involve simply replacing the MB of the blade (almost everything is on it). That is of course covered by warranty, if you purchase the servers properly
                ________
                HONDA CONCERTO
                Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:56.
                Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
                X