Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring Hardware RAID and RAM

hi
    One of my server is in very critical condition. I have been monitoring its hardware using Performance monitor. The results from Perf monitor shows that there are page read/write faults exist in my system. There are errors related to memory read/write and hard disk read /write. I have to check is it RAM or RAID is causing problem. Are there any utilities or applicaiton that could help me in checking RAID and RAM. I have to be 100% sure that either RAID / RAM or both are faulty
    thanks

Re: Monitoring Hardware RAID and RAM

MemTest will check the RAM. Your server should have RAID monitoring software for you to check the array.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you referring to the page faults/sec performance monitor counter? If so, a page fault is not a fault it is a page operation and is perfectly normal. Windows will page data out to memory or hard disk (pagefile) as a normal course of it's operation. This is not bad unless you have exsessive paging. The pages/sec counter monitors paging to memory and the page faults/sec counter monitors paging to memory and hard disk.

Comment

As Biggles mention memtest is the best memory testing application i have ever used.

Your RAID cards should also have testing software.

Your hard drive manufacturer will also have a testing program to test the drives. Seagate's is called Sea Tools for example.

Comment

Thanks for help guys
          joeqwerty, the pages fault / sec are going more than acceptable threshold
          I will use test RAM and see what are the results I will get. i will confirm the RAID manufacturer and see that they contain any monitoring tools on their web site. Is it any general utility that we can use to monitor RAID?

Comment

Working...
          X