Server Message Block issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Message Block issue

Hi, I'm seeking a source of info about the SMB protocol.
    Here's my problem:

I got a LAN with a Win2k DC/File server and XP pro stations.
    My users must use a software that use a databases consisting of a lot of little files on a share on the File server.

I launch the same query on the software on two machines and one of them, despite having a newer and more powerfull hardware is slower than the other to process the exact same query.

I did a snort trace of what's happening and analyzed the results using ethereal. In the stats I see that the slower machine has a lot more SMB Command like Trans2, Read AndX, etc... When I say a lot more it's about 200-300% more depending on the command.

One machine is running XP SP2 and the other XP SP1, except that they are very close in setup.

Can someone direct me to a source of info on the net or somewhere else, where I could find info about tuning SMB behaviour in windows or understand why it's so different on those two machines?

I did dig MS site and crawled google, even went on SAMBA IRC chanels to ask for info but could not find it...

Thanks a lot,

Franšois Z÷fel
    Network Admin

thanks a lot.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...TO-Collection/

Hey try this site.

Comment

Hey I got samba on solaris9
      I can see samba folder from windows
      How do i get samba to see windows?

Thanks

Comment

What is the OS hosting the database share ?

Are the clients and the server registered in DNS ? Arethe server's SPNs (Service Principal Names) registered correctly in the server's account in the AD ?
        Do you have WINS ?

From my experience, most of the SMB performance issues are related to name resolution.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

What is the OS hosting the database share ?

Are the clients and the server registered in DNS ? Arethe server's SPNs (Service Principal Names) registered correctly in the server's account in the AD ?
          Do you have WINS ?

From my experience, most of the SMB performance issues are related to name resolution.

-------------- How do I check all this?
          --I'm positive i got WINS

-Sorry I cannot give more info-- tell me what to look and I'll find it.

Thanks in Advance
          Joe

Comment

Originally posted by bravored
            -------------- How do I check all this?
            I was asking the original poster...
            If you have a question, please open a new topic.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
            X