Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

client and server specification must same for ghost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• client and server specification must same for ghost?

Hi,

I've completed the ghost with a client and a server. but after finished the ghost cloning the client can't start windows.Client is proliant DL350 and server is proliant ML360. system information between these are not the same.

So, I would like to know hardware must be same such as Hard Disk Space, Memory and etc. thanks

Re: client and server specification must same for ghost?

Too little information.
    Originally posted by examplez
    I've completed the ghost with a client and a server
    What does that mean????

Chipset (HDD controller) must be identical or supported by the motherboard you are ghosting to. eg Intel 810 chipset client can be Goste to intel 815 chipset client. An 815 can not be Ghosted to an 810 machine without Mr Blue Screen visiting. (This may not be totally correct but I can't right now look for chipsets that meet the criteria as indicated by my generalisation of the above example.)

You can reinstall the O/S over the top of the existing installation (chose the 2nd Repair option) and this should fix the chipset/HDD controller problem. All other driver will may need to be reinstalled.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Please revise the data you provided so far (there is no 350 server in the DL3XX line, nor a 360 one in the ML3XX line). And when you say "client" and "server", are you by any chance referring to "source" and "destination"? If not, what is "client" and "server"?
      You did not say anything about the OS your are cloning, if the two computers are connected to the network, if they are both ON in the same time, or what version of Ghost are you using ... Or what do you mean by
      the client can't start windows
      The two machines you suggest here (I think you got the two models mixed-up) have very different hardware (as biggles suggested, it is not the Hard Disk Space that counts, but chipset, CPU, RAID controller and such). So, it is highly probable one will have problems cloning from one to another.
      Last edited by sorinso; 31st May 2008, 18:33. Reason: typos :)

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Sorry for my incomplete informations. Thanks for your all advice.

Actually I was trying to clone the Windows server 2003 with Norton Ghost 2003.
        Server(source) is proliant DL360 and Client(destination) is proliant ML350 and all are compaq. I clone with the DOS NDIS2 floppy boot disk. After finished the clone the Client(destination) can't start the windows.

Now,according to the biggles I reinstalled the windows on the destination. after that the windows can start and it is the windows image of source.no need to installed the other drivers.

So the problem is chipset, CPU, RAID not the same. thanks for your all help and really appreciated.

My plan is to clone the Proliant DL360 which running array. so that I tested from another DL360 with only one SCSI. Later I will cone the one by one SCSI from the array DL360. That should not be problem at all? pls help me along. thanks!

Comment

What RAID controllers do you have in the source and in the destination servers?
          And type of RAID do you have on those disks?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Source is smart array and destination is compaq L1 Side1 6050A0011101 EO1. SCSI type is hot-swapp.

thank!

Comment

The differences between the two are too big, IMHO. You'll probably encounter HAL problems. Are the OS and data on different partitions?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X