Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMS Notice

Hi,
    I am looking for any utility or software that can send SMS on my mobile if servers are malfunctioning.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated
    Cheers

Re: SMS Notice

We use GFI Network Server Monitor for this. It's not free, but it does a gr8 job. The SMS part is taken care by the communications department, so I cannot tell you much about it.
    Other tools we deal with here is the Linux-based, Open Source Nagios.
    These are the tools I know of.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
      Hi,
      I am looking for any utility or software that can send SMS on my mobile if servers are malfunctioning.
      Any suggestion would be appreciated
      Cheers
      Cheapest solution?

Get an blackberry with an email account, let the server send you an mail.

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
        Get an blackberry with an email account, let the server send you an mail.
        Cool and simple solution. It just won't cover the cases where the server is frozen or it has a network problem. These cases are only covered by monitoring solutions from outside the monitored machine.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          Cool and simple solution. It just won't cover the cases where the server is frozen or it has a network problem. These cases are only covered by monitoring solutions from outside the monitored machine.
          True, but what if the external monitoring solution freezes up??

There are always "what if" situations, what if the SMS provider goes down (like regularly happens at new years eve because averybody starts calling relatives).

If an server is that important then you should monitor it 24/7 physically and not through solutions as SMS or mail.

I worked for an IT company that monitored it's network & servers 24/7 by an team off physical present IT personnel with network & IT engineers on a 1 hours notice standing by 24/7.

If the monitored system is not that important, then an email solution should be enough in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X