Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing "ticking" hard disk

Hi,
    I have a hard disk yhat started making ticking noises and was difficult to run.
    I managed to save the data.
    Is there a way i can manually try to fix it?
    Thanks,
    Yossi

Have you tried downloading any diagnostic software from the hard drive vendor? As to 'manually' fixing it... if you mean open it up then im afriad not. Hard drives operate in a vacuum and so opening it up ruins it.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If your hard drive starts ticking, take it out and throw it outside quick, before it blows up

Seriously though, once a hard drive starts to develope a fault of failure, it's time to back up as much data as possible, and replace the hardware immediately.

The only time I would suggest opening a Hard drive would be when it's completely stuffed and you want to display the "internals" of a hard drive as a presentation device, but I wouldn't be re-using this hardware inside a computer that is going to carry meaningful data.

As suggested, download a diagnostics package from the hard drive Vendor, and run this to test the drive, but otherwise either replace it under warranty, or fork out and upgrade the drive...

B.

Comment

Since i backed up the data i dont mind experimenting with it .... even if it will end up in the garbage can.
        Radical sugestions are welcome,
        Thanks,
        Bendi

Comment

Originally posted by bendi
          Since i backed up the data i dont mind experimenting with it .... even if it will end up in the garbage can.
          Radical sugestions are welcome,
          Thanks,
          Bendi
          Well if you've got all you need then feel free to play but im 99% sure that once it is opened you find it will not operate properly again! The smallest bit of dust (hence the vacuum) will cause havoc!
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I had the same problem but fixed it

We purchased 20 Latitude D600 computers and quite a number of the drives started ticking. I complained to Dell and a few weeks later they came out with a fix for it. Check the support downloads on their website. This fix is only for a specific brand of hard drive.

L8R

Comment

Working...
            X