X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATA Hard Drive is not working properly with SATA Hard Drive

Mobo: d945gcnl Intel
    Hard Drive Seagate.

Okay. Friends here is the issue. I have one 250 Gb SATS Hard Drive connected with the desktop computer that has vista installed..now I want to format the drive so I decided to take backup of some data on the other Hard Drive (ATA) and it is 8 GB. when I connect using the ATA cable in place of my CD-Rom it shows up on the BIOS. when Operating system loads I can see the drive icon in the my computer. when I transfer files from one drive to the other it works for some time and then I get error message that says unable to find the path specified and the drive icon disappears.
    it happens everytime I do that,
    Is the drive is faulty or I can not connect SATA and ATA at the same time..

Re: ATA Hard Drive is not working properly with SATA Hard Drive

an 8 GB PATA drive? It's so old, the IDE specs may be too different. Could just be bad though.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
      an 8 GB PATA drive? It's so old, the IDE specs may be too different. Could just be bad though.
      I understand that may be the Hard Drive has gone bad or specs are diffrent but kindly tell me can Iconnect SATA and ATA Hard Drive at the same time.. Will they work properly.????

Comment

ATA as in PARALLEL ATA? Old school 40 pin cables? Yes, you can have multiple HDDs of different types hooked up at the same time.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Okay..Got it...Thank you.

Comment

I'm wondering if this is a Windows Mount Manager issue vs. a SATA / PATA one.

Can you successfully boot on the ATA drive with the SATA drive disconnected?

And are your drive letters set the way you think they should? Or did C: now become something else?

Here's a post from a while ago where I describe a little about "Windows Mount Manager":

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12154
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by ravi.tejpal View Post
              Okay..Got it...Thank you.
              Please check your PM (top right corner of your screen).
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Please check your PM (top right corner of your screen).
                Yes.

biggles77: I have checked your PM Thank you but I don't know for what it was. Nonetheless I have replied for it.

rvalstar: Thank you for you invaluable suggestion. Yes when I connect both the drives at the same time they work properly for some time and after that things start to go bad.I have checked the same drive on other computer running windows xp and it is doing the same thing over there too possible because the Hard Drive (8GB) has gone bad..

Thank you to everyone.

Comment

An 8Gb Hard drive will be very old and very slow (and possibly slow down other IDE drives)

IMHO, get the data off it -- an 8GB Flash Drive will cost you 15 or less -- and consign it to the great recycle bin in the sky
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X