X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF files larger than actual size when printing

Sorry about the semi confusing title

Allow me to explain

I've come across a rather random issue that is killing various printers in our network.

There was a PDF that was sent around via email recently, about 4mb or so (flashy poster converted to PDF). Its filesize, according to outlook and windows explorer is 4mb

However, when printing (its a single page) it comes out as 14 ~ 25mb of data that is trying to print (viewing the print queue). On some of our printers here (mainly HP P2015s so far) they are dying hard, and jamming the queue until it is deleted - on some of our other printers (HP P3005, HP 2420, HP 5550 etc) it has printed fine

We also have HP 6Ps about the place that die horribly when sent a PDF any bigger than 1mb too.... Always a laugh (I know these printers need replacing lol)

Anywho, has anyone experienced similar problems with printing PDFs?

Adobe is version 7.07 on most computers. We havent upgraded to 8 due to ram restrictions

Re: PDF files larger than actual size when printing

Be certain you are using a PS driver on those printers, instead of the PCL versions... Check and let us know.
    Another thing: how are those printers connected? Locally to their specific computers? Or to a print server? And if it's a print server, what OS?
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th May 2008, 14:52. Reason: rephrasing ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Be certain you are using a PS driver on those printers, instead of the PCL versions... Check and let us know.
      Another thing: how are those printers connected? Locally to their specific computers? Or to a print server? And if it's a print server, what OS?
      Oops... We are running PCL 6 drivers for pretty much every printer we have..

Do PS drivers handle PDFs differently then?

Our printers are all managed by a print server and local IP ports. Windows 2003 standard, SP2.

Comment

There is a big difference between PCL and PS drivers... Especially PCL6, that has some advanced capabilities that might be problem-makers when printing PostScript files. I don't recall the whole theory, and my printers' guru is out of reach at the moment, so cannot give you the whole picture.
        Anyway, a PDF file is a PostScript file, that you are printing with a non-PostScript driver.
        I would suggest two things:
        1) in the printer's Properties, on the Advanced page, uncheck the Enable Advanced Printing Features box (see the attached screenshot).
        2) install the PS driver for the same printer on the server and map it to the users.

Test these two and see which of them is better.
        Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Added: also, see these articles from Adobe's site:
        - http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...ernalId=333091
        - http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...ernalId=323299
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sorinso; 14th May 2008, 06:10. Reason: screenshot added.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X