Enterprise Instant Messaging Solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enterprise Instant Messaging Solution

So I'm tasked with finding something for intra-office IM.

What are some solutions that people have used?
    I'm looking at Office Communication Server. Any other that I should check out? Any reliable open source solutions?

Thanks
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Enterprise Instant Messaging Solution

Take a look at Jabber. It even looks to be free for organisations:

http://www.jabber.org/jabber-for-organizations

I've used the client but never installed / configured the server side so I can't comment about it.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, I came across Jabber in my searching. I think I might install a server here at home and test it out.
      Thanks.

Any other suggestions are welcome (like which Jabber server to use)
      Regards,
      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Might we worth taking a look at Instan-t Messenger (http://www.instan-t.com/) as well... have heard a couple of good reviews about that particular one.
        Sarah Zammit Testa
        GFI Software - http://www.gfi.com
        Web & Mail Security, Archiving & Fax, Networking & Security
        Visit our new blog at - http://www.gfi.com/blog

Comment

Check out OpenFire. I once migrated a jabberd install to Openfire. It also uses the Jabber protocol, and it ROCKS.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/projec...fire/index.jsp
          VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Thanks gepeto, I noticed Openfire as one of the servers listed on jabber.org. I'll probably test out that server and maybe Jabber XCP too.

Hi Sarah. I don't think I've seen you post outside the MVM award threads
            Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

+1 to OpenFire.

and I think the new version of Zimbra has a built in Jabber as well
              ________
              FORD BARRA ENGINE HISTORY
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:35.
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

briefly used Spark. Didn't have chance to manage it, but it has AD integration, can be deployed via GPO, lightweight, very good, and free. Worth having a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  I'm looking at Office Communication Server.
                  Thanks
                  We are using this on the office.

The Servicedesk is about 300km south and we [second line support] are using messenger to quickly communicate if they have employees on the telephone. Very handy.

It is also integrated in Outlook, so when you type a message you can see if the person is online so you can start a chat.
                  It also displays when a contact has Out-of-the-Office enabled.

Very handy.

Don't know anything about the installation or about the price.

Comment

Office communication server is a nice tool, there is also a possibility of integrating it into Sharepoint intranet portals.

but it does cost money, unlike Jabber
                    ________
                    FORD DURASHIFT PICTURE
                    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:39.
                    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      Yeah, I came across Jabber in my searching. I think I might install a server here at home and test it out.
                      Thanks.

Any other suggestions are welcome (like which Jabber server to use)
                      HP used (still uses?) Jabber company-wide. Don't know what the infrastructure was but the 2 annoying things I remember were:

1) your local message history is encrypted / scrambled and you have to be logged on to the Jabber service to see the archive

2) It was a pain to add outside folks to the messaging infrastructure. Many of us ended up using some variant of MSN Messenger (not blocked) both for work and outside communications. Since that was completely unsecure, it defeated HP's original intent. Lesson learned is either block all outside IM mechanisms or make the infrastructure and procedures easy enough to promote use of the internal solution.
                      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                        HP used (still uses?) Jabber company-wide. Don't know what the infrastructure was but the 2 annoying things I remember were:

1) your local message history is encrypted / scrambled and you have to be logged on to the Jabber service to see the archive

2) It was a pain to add outside folks to the messaging infrastructure. Many of us ended up using some variant of MSN Messenger (not blocked) both for work and outside communications. Since that was completely unsecure, it defeated HP's original intent. Lesson learned is either block all outside IM mechanisms or make the infrastructure and procedures easy enough to promote use of the internal solution.
                        I fail to see how #1 is a downside. As for #2, I have administered corporate Jabber servers and I have to say it highly depends on the client. Some clients make it very easy to add users from different protocols while others definitely don't.

Comment

The pain about #1 is when you are offline w/ your laptop and want to pull up some key tidbit from your jabber logs.

If you are a mobile warrior that is a big downside. Either you have to remember to copy and file every potentially useful piece of info elsewhere or you just stop using the bloody thing.

For example:

Someone IMs you to check out a bad sales order and you fix it / IM them back with the resolution. Now you're away from the network and someone asks what was up with that sales order the other day??? Wait, let me step away from the meeting for 15 minutes and find a connection for my laptop (on campus but out of WiFi range) or I'll get back to you tomorrow (off site).
                          Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Well then you should be able to log on offline to decrypt the files as that is a downside for you for sure.

Again that is client-dependant.

Spark is a nice client, I just found that it used way too much ram for a chat client. I don't know if it has improved recently, could've been a memory leak bug in the version I had. (It was using over 50megs easily, sometimes much more)

Comment

Whatever version of Jabber HP was using back in 2005 / 2006, this couldn't be done. I tried finding a version of Jabber on the web at the time that could bypass this limitiation but, for whatever reason, I was unsuccessful.
                              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X