Offsite Backup Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offsite Backup Recommendations

I'm consulting with a small business in my area regarding their network setup. They are running a small network with a POS system, around 5 computers.

The topic of backups came up. To my suprise, they have never completed one. The POS system automatically creates a backup file each night at 9PM and I have it set to dump into their data repository, where Office docs and Quickbooks are stored for network access. We want to back up the entire data repository.

I gave them the option of backing up to a 2GB USB thumb drive everynight as they currently have around 100MB of data that needs to be backed up each night before they left. They were OK with that scenario, but wanted a more automated solution.

I thought the idea of offsite storage would be a better deal. As it would automate the backup and provide safe keeping until needed and no user intervention is needed. Has anyone worked with a company that performs offsite backups for small businesses? I did a Google search and found several companies that were able to perform the task, but was unsure as to who to go with. Also, it would be nice if we had the ability to recieve an email regarding activity, such as the back up complete, didn't complete, etc.

Any suggestions?
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: Offsite Backup Recommendations

I think the thumbdrive is a great idea for that sort of size. Could also just have an FTP site setup somewhere to send it every evening. I'm sure you can get a client that emails and can be scheduled for example. Only ideas really though.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

it all depends on the budget really.
      the classic solution is a collocated server at an ISP server farm, and rsync or sFTP, but that is expensive, and probably isn't worth it for a 100 Mbs of data
      ________
      Toyota Tf103 History
      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:31.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

there are countless, Online backup companies out there, about $50/year for unlimited data.......Assuming of course that you are online.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Reading the first line made me thought that "POS" meant something else than point of sale !

I have used this http://igobackup.com/ online backup service for a short period of time and it seemed pretty good. It even does binary differentials and has a decent interface to select the files.

I don't know what the pricing is though, but I know you can ask for a free test account with like 10gigs of storage for 30 days.
          VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Originally posted by gepeto View Post
            Reading the first line made me thought that "POS" meant something else than point of sale !
            Well, POS can also be referred to "POS" as well in this situation, one reason they ran off their previous IT guru.

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure if I should just try one of the companies I found on google or if someone was able to recommend something.
            Last edited by boondock; 11th April 2008, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              there are countless, Online backup companies out there, about $50/year for unlimited data.......Assuming of course that you are online.
              This is a similar search to what I did earlier, I wanted some recommendations from the companies listed here.

Comment

Many of these online backup site only do Incremental and this keeps the data size down. It then becomes a big pain to restore if you have a single Full backup that is several months (or even weeks) old since you then have to Restore each of those Incrementals.

I run one of these puppies though I would prefer the RAID1 box. http://www.a-tecsubsystem.com/websys...=1171267415885 It can be stored where ever a network & power point exists so can be away from the main server and even hidden in a cupboard. With the Ext3 format you don't have the 2GB file size limitation or other non USB backup devices. (Gee, I am sounding like a salseman for these guys). Sorry for the speel but this is a device I just happen really like.

Don't forget to frequently test any backup jobs.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The notion of needing every incremental backup since the last full backup when doing a restore is a little misleading. If I'm restoring a Word document I only need the latest incremental backup of said document, not every incremental backup of it. If I'm restoring an entire system or a database where I've done a full and then incremental log backups I may need every incremental since the last full backup but this is a pretty rare occurrence IMHO. I run a weekly full backup (2TB) and daily incremental backups (350GB) and 99% of the restores I do are from one of the daily incrementals (dependent on when the data was last changed).

Comment

Mmmm, works if you are only restoring ONE file Joe. If you are going to need the backedup data it is most likely going to be for a catastrophic failure where you need to restore ALL the data, ergo, your post is a little misleading.

There is a huge difference between fulltime one site tech support doing daily monitored backups and a small 5 PC business doing unmonitored automated backups to a remote location. With all due respect to boondock, I am sure checking the backups is going to be low on his priority list when he gets the call to that sites latest "emergency".

Sorry Boondock, gone a wee bit but it is all pertinent to this situation.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

With all due respect to biggles77, in my 9 years as a system administrator I've only once had to restore a complete system from backup. All other restores (thousands I'm sure) have been of single files or directories where only one or several files were needed and the latest incremental or at the most a few incrementals have been needed. I believe that my experiences with restoring data accurately reflects the majority of restores that IT professional are called on to perform and is in fact the reality of the situation and not misleading at all.

Comment

This is now way .

Joe, if you wish to discuss the differences between large organisations and small "one man bands" and their data restores, please start a new thread and I will be more than happy to debate it there.

discussion is continued here. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...857#post100857
                        Last edited by biggles77; 12th April 2008, 20:07. Reason: Added link to Off Topic thread.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well to bring the conversation back to the OP, I use iDrive, I do not usually recommend a company but you asked.

With regards to the incremental/differential/full backup discussion iDrive does do that but call it versions, however the restore is pretty easy, just download all the latest. This is not for OS restore or anything like that obviously.

As far as security and and who they are, there is an option to encrypt all you data using your own key that you generate and you control, there are drawbacks to this but for most people (non-HIPAA or GLB) you are fine.
                          Last edited by Lior_S; 14th April 2008, 04:53. Reason: details
                          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all of the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                            X