Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PnP KVM on ProLiant ML570

Hello,
    I have a TrendNet TK-205 KVM, which has a blurb stating it will run under Win2003 Server.

I have that OS on an ML570 ProLiant, and also on an ML350, both early versions. I would like to use the KVM with these two, which are my Domain Controllers.

Nothing I can do wakes up the monitor with the KVM installed on start up as is required. These two machines can use HP SmartStart 5.5, but no higher version.

Does anyone know of a fix that would allow me to use KVM?

I believe that the ML570 has a problem with PnP, but cannot find a solution on any support pages, either on MS or on the HP/Compaq site. The 5.5 CD does not provide me with any relevant information.
    Regards,
    Paul
    [email protected]

Re: PnP KVM on ProLiant ML570

A short check in the TK-205K Quick Installation Guide on manufacturer's site shows the statement (page 4, How to Install):
    The TK-205 PS/2 KVM Switch does not require any drivers or software.
    (as it was to expect from these kind of peripheral equipment).
    Meaning, that there is nothing to install on the servers you want to connect to the device. Nothing relevant is to expect to find neither on Microsoft, nor on HP sites. The SmartStart version is irrelevant.
    I am curious what do you mean by
    PnP KVM
    Anyway, I would start checking for a hardware malfunction with the KVM:
    1) Does the monitor works OK when connected directly to the server?
    2) Does the same problem occurs when only one of the servers is connected?
    3) Try to connect only one server and see if it's OK. If not, change the port, does it work now?
    4) Ensure that the KVM's cable keyboard jack is connected to the server's keyboard port. Without, the KVM won't work! (as it gets its power from the keyboard)
    Another thing: even ML570 has its version of SmartStart 7.7 (the last one available from December 20th, 2006). The G2 has even SmartStart 8 available. If you're talking PSP, then the original ML570 goes as up as PSP7.6 (September 26, 2006).

Hope all this info helped a bit.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by sorinso; 15th April 2008, 04:32. Reason: typo ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

A reply!! Thank you.

Info: PnP KVM is basically plug and play, which the ML570 doesn't like when it boots, given that there is no real BIOS. The system board carries certain settings, and it does not arise when booting up.

Replying to your notes:
      1 The monitor works fine on the on board connector, on the server board not the mother board.

2 Neither server works, and I always follow the instructions to start with only one computer.

3: Cannot change the port on either for monitor or keyboard or mouse.

4. KVM keyboard is attached to the computer keyboard port.
      Plus, I shall have to find out why, when I tried to use SmartStart 7.2, that it wouldn't install which contraindicates what you have mentioned.
      The OS is installed without the SmartStart: and note that Windows Server 2003 has no floppy option which SmartStart 5.5 requires, being itself antique.

The information is excellent and helps me think that I need to try the KVM on a couple of XP Pro boxes to see if it works with them: following the installation guidelines.
      Regards,
      Paul

Comment

Hi, Paul.
        Here's the link to SmartStart 7.70 and to PSP 7.51 for ML570 with Windows Server 2003. Try to download them and try again to install. If it still fails, I suggest you post the issue on HP's technical forum on their site. BTW, looks like the PSP is the same for the ML350 . No SmartStart for it though ...
        When I said earlier to change ports, I meant to that that you connect first a server to Port1 on the KVM and then change it to Port2 on the KVM...
        Anyway, try to see if the KVM works with plain computers, not servers. The OS is irrelevant, since it is not aware of the KVM being there. With this mentioned, Plug-and-Play technology deals with automatic addition of devices to a computer, without need of installing drivers or manually assign I/O addresses and interrupts in the OS. In case of a KVM, the OS should not be aware of it (and from what I saw, this is the case of the device you have here).

Good luck and please keep the forum updated.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Hello,
          I cannot make the KVM work: the latest SmartStart CDs do not work on these two machines. Plus, it did not work on another XP Pro updated box, so I think it is faulty.
          So, I intend to purchase a Belkin item and try that within a couple of weeks.
          If that works then I'll post here. The package in the store states that it works with 2003, meaning MS Server 2003 I presume.
          Paul

Comment

Cool.
            Thank you for updating the forum.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hello,
              It would appear that I am out of luck in attempting to install PnP KVM equipment on these two servers.

Both are early models, but both work well using MS 2003 R2 Enterprise, and are the domain controllers, as I have mentioned.

Having a chat with a couple of people who have technical knowledge, my premise that since one cannot access the _almost_ existent BIOS then any software that comes with the KVM kit is useless. It only affects the OS, and not the chip on the machine, which is password protected, at the very least.

If it doesn't, and quite obviously it can't, affect the BIOS then it can't cure the problem.

Consequently, I will not be wasting my money on a KVM as long as I keep these two beasts.

Thanks for the interest shown, and I will have to think of something else to do to keep the energy usage down on my network.
              Regards,
              Paul

Comment

Hi, Paul.
                Thank you for updating the forum.
                I am using in my servers' room a cool product from Minicom. I have a central console in the room and a remote one on my desktop, so I can control the whole room without getting up from the chair (I know, it does no good to the weight issue ). I don't want to advertise them, so I'll stop here
                Good luck, m8.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X