Scanner not recognsed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner not recognsed

I have a Packard Bell Windows Media Centre computer, Intel dual core cpu, 512 ram, 2 hard disks, (1 SATA 150g, 1 IDE 75 g), CD/DVD drive, XP Pro, SP2
    I have a Visioneer 4400 USB flatbed scanner and a PrimeFilm 3600Pro film scanner.
    They are both oldish but perfectly adequate for my needs. Just before the guarantee expired the SATA hard disk suffered a failure and was replaced and I chose to install it myself and had to reload all my programs. The computer won't recognise the Visioneer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the scanner using the original CD several times but my computer won't recognise its existence. It used to work OK. My wife has a machine, AMD 240m CPU, XP Pro, SP2 and I have had no problems loading the Visioneer on to that one. It is a nuisance to go from one m/c to the other. No smart alecs telling me to go and buy a new scanner, please. I am 87 years old and quite happy, normally, with what I have. Has anyone any idea of what might be wrong? My printer is old too, Epson Stylus Photo 1200, again it suits me. I have no problems with that. I have follwed the installation instructions carefully, but when the final message box comes up saying something like "The installation is finished. When your scanner is detected click on 'finished' " but it never is detected. If I use the "Add an imaging device" in Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras it won't goes past "have disk" and that's it.

Re: Scanner not recognsed

If you have reloaded yourself then have you installed any chipset drivers for the motherboard?
    Might be worth trying a different USB port as well (if you haven't).
    If you open device manager do you see any ! marks or unknown devices.

One guess would be you have an additional USB add in card and this needs drivers too.

87 years old and computer savvy, I'm impressed. My folks struggle with mobile phones and they are in their 60s.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thank you, Andy for your reply. The replacement hard disk came from Packard Bell and has all the drivers installed to run the machine. Peripherals require their own drivers and I downloaded the drivers for the film scanner from the internet. The printer is recognised by Windows. I tried downloading new drivers for the Visioneer but they are the same as the ones on the installation disk. There are 4 usb ports on the m/c and I have tried them all, in any case they all work with other devices such as my old digital camera and a memory stick. My broadband router has 4 ports and if I can set up both computers to see each other I could work round it by using the other machine to scan. My wife, nearly 85, is hooked on jigsaws and also often plays Mahjong and Solitaire so you can be sure if I want to do some scanning she will be on her machine. Even if I can't get the scanner to work on my machine I would love to know why.

Comment

Hmm most odd.

I found this
        http://www.visioneer-europe.com/support/faqs/1c.htm

from

http://www.visioneer-europe.com/support/4400.htm

which may be worth a look.

If you check the device manager do you see anything with a "!"?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Are you installing the device using an Administrator account?

This is an excellent post with a good title. You put a great any of us to shame.

Just a thought. Is the scanner wearing sungasses? If it is then that may be why the computer does not recognise it. (Sorry, been waiting a long time to use that one )
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

To Biggles77,
            No, I am not using an administrator account.
            I had a good look, and yes!! the scanner is wearing RayBans. I aked Ray about it but as he has been banned he couldn't answer. Then I noticed someone had stolen the lenses.
            To Andy,
            I will looked at the website you mention. Device Manager shows
            Imaging devices
            !3600 film scanner
            !3600 film scanner
            !FilmScan3600
            USBscanner
            USBscanner
            USBscanner
            !Visioneer scanner
            The film scanner works. I have downloaded 2 lots of software for it, one of which produces a strange result with horizontal orange streaks, the other is fine. I don't do much photography these days as I can't walk very far. My wife and I have been members of a camera club for over 20 years and I must have well over 1000 slides which I scan occasionally so that they can be shown on our digital projector. Having scanned a slide gives me the opportunity to ruin it in PhotoShop.
            Last edited by zumlif; 9th April 2008, 18:41. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ha, I'm glad someone uses Photoshop the same way as I do!

Ok, It looks like it is just conflicting within device manager. For the "!" marked ones I would right click and uninstall them. Then reboot and see what the machines plug-n-play picks up. Let it sit for a bit when it gets back to the desktop as it may be installing. Check device manager again to see if you have any more with "!"s

If so then I would be tempted to uninstall the software from both using add/remove programs in the control panel. Remove their entries in device manager and reboot with the 3600 pro unplugged. If we can get the Visoneer working properly first without the 3600 then I think things will work better in the long run.
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by zumlif View Post
                To Biggles77,
                No, I am not using an administrator account.
                I had a good look, and yes!! the scanner is wearing RayBans. I aked Ray about it but as he has been banned he couldn't answer. Then I noticed someone had stolen the lenses.
                Try installing the drivers using an Administrator account (or give your user account temporarily Administrator privileges) and see how that goes.

(Be careful you aren't framed for the stolen lenses. )
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello Biggles and Andy.
                  Thank you for your postings. I followed the links to find I have done it all before. Nevertheless, I went through it all again to no avail. There was one minor improvement. The next time I switched on and plugged in the scanner I got "New hardware found." "Aha, something's happening!" I thought. No such luck. I went through the process again until I got to "When your scanner has been detected reboot" but it is not detected and the "New hardware" panel now doesn't appear. I give up. I haven't configured both machines to see each yet but I will. I have a number of important functions to perform each day, like getting up. Retiring at night doesn't take too much effort.
                  Best wishes.

Comment

Hello AndyJG247, biggles77 and others,
                    A young (merely 62 years old) computer buff friend visited me recently and I mentioned my problem. He booted my machine and he uninstalled and installed and deleted and downloaded and reinstalled ad infinitum. I lost track of what he was doing. At one stage he muttered "You don't want that, let's move that " and other disjointed remarks. The upshot of it all was that the final installation was my Visioneer scanner and it works!!! He explained it was a hardware installation problem. I knew that of course but didn't know what to do.
                    Thank you for your interest, I think this topic is now closed.

Comment

Excellent, I am pleased you got it fixed. It's a shame that sometimes you have to be with the machine to be able to fix some problems. Good luck for the future!
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X