NTDLR Missing Error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTDLR Missing Error

Hi, well this is a long problem and would like to know if anyone can help. Here is the story. About a week ago my computer was acting up and not acting like my Cd

drives were even their. So of course I used Hp Recovery (btw I am using an Hp Pavilion a1330n) and all was well till about two days ago when I was trying to check

out

my girlfriends game sims and noticed it was acting like it wasn't on the system so I began an uninstall well needless to say lovely Microsoft update starting installing

IE 7 Well before I knew it my computer restarted and then when It restarted it would do the screen where I can like do boot and F1 and stuff and then it

automatically goes to this NTDLR is missing and that I have to press Ctr/alt/Delete to restart well I decided to try and do another system recovery and it says that I

am inserting the wrong disk when it is #1 and I used it a few days ago. Well I researched and researched and found some solutions but most call for making a boot

disk (and I dont have a floppy drive) and accessing my console and putting in some codes. Well I have no clue how to make a boot CD not A floppy and Hp and

Microsoft want 50$ that I dont have just for that problem. So any help at all would be greatly appreciated I am so lost and also dont have an XP Cd so I cant use

that as a startup CD either. Anyways sorry this is so long I just need help badly anyone who can guide me would be great thanks so much!

Ethan

P.s I am using Windows XP home Edition
    Last edited by Sparxeb; 3rd March 2008, 22:34.

Boot Files

Ok I have a previous post with my NTDLR Missing problem but I decided to post

another one with a few questions. First where can I find boot.ini nldr ntdetect.com?

Second since I dont have a Floppy drive if I buy an external USB one will that work to

transfer those boot files and then put them on the bad computer that wont start up?

And lastly how in the heck do I put them on and when I plug it into the other comp

and I set my priorities to start with that external drive (if I even can) will it

automatically start or do I have to do something?

Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks guys!

Ethan

P.S Also Just for reference if you didn't read my post in misc about NTDLR missing Error I am running Windows XP Home Edition and sorry this is in the XP Pro section I am sure you guys can still help me out though.

Comment

Re: Boot Files

easier than buying a floppy drive and all that - repair your boot files and MBR using a WinXP disc.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes I know of that way too but does that mean an actual windows XP disk or what because I dont have a windows XP disk.

Comment

Borrow one from a friend. Using the repair function is pretty standard across XP discs, and it won't ask for a license check....

Reinstallation, however, will require that you have the same version of XP as you have license.

Besides, you'll still need *some* sort of boot device to load *something* in order to be able to manipulate the HD file contents, and AFAICR, I don't think you can just haul off and copy ntldr from computer to computer all that easily - by the time you get ti all set and done and figured out you could have borrowed an XP disc from a m8 and run fixboot and fixmbr and given him the disc back....

Anyone else care to chime in? This seems to be the most logical method of fixing the computer, assuming that the HD is not actually dead....
          sigpic

Comment

DONT DOUBLE POST
            Thread from Misc Forum locked and will be merged with this one to avoid confusion!
            Last edited by Ossian; 4th March 2008, 08:47.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: NTDLR Missing Error

Double post with
              http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=22120

Thread locked until it can be merged
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Sparxeb View Post
                Yes I know of that way too but does that mean an actual windows XP disk or what because I dont have a windows XP disk.
                And how did you installed Windows XP then?
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Two threads merged so there may be some confusion in the post sequence.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hey guys ok very sorry about the double post and I wont let it happen again.

Anyways well I guess borrowing a disk would work XP already came with the

computer on the motherboard so... but I ended up calling Microsoft and I am getting

a refund because nothing was solved so now HP wants 50$ but should I try them or

just borrow what would they do different? I mean the microsoft guy wanted me to

ask if my tattoo needed updated on my motherboard but HP wanted to charge me

50$ just for that. Anyways the whole reason for that is because my recovery disks

are not even being recognized and it says I have the wrong disk. So I guess what I

am asking is should I pay 50$ to have HP help me or borrow a disk since it is more

than just that error but also my recovery cd's not working?

Comment

Be sure no usb storage devices / flash drives are plugged in the computer during boot have you tried that?

Explain to HP that you have created the restore DVD, but now you need it for a reinstall, the re-installation does not accept the computer. Maybe it is a known issue, and they offer service.

Otherwise,
                      ask HP what they exactly will do to repair the computer. Will they bring it back to factory default (you will lose your files, but you will get an other chance to create a new set of restore cd's), or do they just copy the missing files, and a next time you have problems with the computer you have to call them again.

If HP does not offer a free Service, then this is what I would try first,
                      borrow the cd, see if it works, if it does then spend that 50$ on an imaging tool.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Ok well I borrowed a Cd but its not a xp home its an xp professional can I still use it

to run the repair?

EDIT: Ok I ran the repair and fixmbr and fixboot but it still is saying NTDLR is missing..... ok so any other ideas is it because its an xp professional cd???

Also to you REMS yea theres nothing in the computer. also I tried explaining all that too HP and she just repeats that their is a 50$ service charge for the technicians.... and I

even tried simple questions but too no avail...

ugh I am so stressed...
                        Last edited by Sparxeb; 5th March 2008, 01:41.

Comment

AFAIK, that file is the same whether it's XP Pro or XP Home so try it. At this point you have nothing to lose. Also, Fixboot and FixMBR will not replace missing or damaged files. They will rewrite the boot sector and fix the master boot record.

Also see the following article regarding the Recovery Console on XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Comment

Working...
                          X