Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Snap-shot tools

Hi,

I am looking for a tool which can do the following for windows XP/2003 machines(irrespective of they are virtual or physical).

1. Backup a state of a machine at time A
    2. Backup a state of a machine at time B
    3. Ability to provide the file and reg diff between A and B

Please let me know if you have come across any such.

Thanks,
    Sitaram

Re: Desktop Snap-shot tools

For what purposes?
    If you need this for installing applications, I used to do it with WinInstall LE (although I used an older version).
    It's not free, but it's nice ...
    Last edited by sorinso; 27th February 2008, 10:49. Reason: not free ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Regshot will take care of the registry portion:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/

Regshot is an open-source(GPL) registry compare utility that allows you to quickly take a snapshot of your registry and then compare it with a second one - done after doing system changes or installing a new software product.
      Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

hi Solomon,

Thanks for your reply. My requirement is not for replicating the softwares. I have a team of size 2 who works on 30 different machines. While working, if they changes any settings/ACLs in any one computer, I should be able to capture these changes and push to remaining 29 workstations(ofcourse, not in real time). Both the users are having local admin privileges on all 30 computers.

Do we have any tool which can do this? I am ready to invest money if it is not a freeware also.

Thanks,
        Sitaram

Comment

WinInstall LE will create an MSI file from the differences, so you will be able to replicate to everything else...
          Can't you see to it that these guys stick to one or two computers, instead of moving around ? It will be easier...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X